Does anyone own the Q Acoustics Q-AV rear speakers?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've been contemplating buying just the rear speakers for a while. I'm intrigued to know how well they spread sound (my current rears sound too focused and give their position away). Problem is, there are no retailers stocking them nearby, hence an audition is impossible.

Also, presumably the rears have standard clips or binding-posts for speaker connection? I'd hate to buy them and discover they're incompatible with the rest of my kit.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have 4 of these making up my 7.1 system got them as small and unobtrusive - obviously only handle the high frequencies with everything else sent to the sub - i think they create a good level of ambience and would recommend them - def don't dominate the room and go loud enough to create a proper soundstage

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, magentawhat. Can you tell me whether they use conventional clips or binding posts?

Also, you say they only handle high-frequencies. Obviously I'm not expecting speakers that slim to deliver meaty bass, but a reasonably articulate midrange would be the deal-clincher for me.

My finger's hovering over "buy"...

EDIT: would you be able to tell me what you're using for your front three speakers as well (I wonder whether the Q-AVs would compliment my B&Ws tonally)? Sorry, perhaps too many questions...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
neither clips or binding posts - best way to describe is like wiring a plug - through hole in back of speaker then fasten with a screw from memory

my fronts are the ma pl100s and ma pl150 centre - used to have standmounts also for rears but just took up far too much room ect they are not going to be quite as transparent as a proper speaker but as a compact solution they do a very good job - i only use my for surround duties for movies not music and they create plety of sound - in terms of tonal match i don't think the surrounds are as important as matching your front 3

do you just want for movies or music as well - i don't thnik you can go wrong for the money

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
They would be predominantly for movies (I tend to listen to music in stereo anyway, so no issue there).

I agree that matching the rears isn't quite as important as matching the fronts, though I also know from experience that rears sounding tonally very different from the fronts can spoil the overall sound.

So the Q-AVs are wired using standard speaker cable? It sounds like they are. However, if remember rightly, the Mission cubes, that use similar NXT flat-panel technology, connect directly to the sub using Mission's own cabling system (and can't be connected directly to an AVR). Just want to be sure before I buy...

Thanks again for the advice.
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
matengawhat:can be wired direct to amp using normal speaker cable i use chord carnival -

emotion-21.gif
I think I'll give superfi a call tomorrow and see if it's at all possible to set up an audition.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Scratch that, I'm going to Superfi next week to have a listen (makes sense, even if they are cheap).

Superfi tell me that they have a large quantity of the Q-AV rears in stock. The price will remain the same, so there's no hurry...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts