Dock and Headphone amp for ipod classic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All any help would be great I use my ipod alot (when the wife is watching Corrie etc.)I would like a dock/headphone amp to really enjoy it.I have Shure se110,and Grado sr60 headphones. All kinds of music but alot of Santana and Joe Bonamasa.

A

Anonymous

Would that charge my ipod? although for short periods that wouldn't matter How good is the Xcan

A

Anonymous

A very good Question Messiah. I would like to no the answer to that myself, I would like more volume than the ipod can give at times!

idc

Nick, no it does not charge at the same time, but the Classic has lasted 4 hours and still showed life in the battery. I am very happy with the XcanV2, though it can be quite revealing on poor recordings such as Radiohead and Elbow where there is actual distortion and fizz on the treble. The XcanV2 still comes up on ebay every so often. It can also be modified by MF themselves and another company called Rock Grotto, which will be my next upgrade. MF aim for a smooth musical presentation which I thinks complements the forward sound of the Grados, so you get the best of both worlds; a lively presentation that is not too sharp.

idc

Messiah:How much of an improvement would that be compared to connecting the headphones directly to the iPod itself??

Not sure about the Shures, but the ipod cannot drive the SR60s which have the same impedance as my SR80s. I have tried the ipod straight into the Grados and the sound is flat, dull and muddled.

A

Anonymous

I have seen them on Ebay from time to time! is it better than the ones on the link you sent? the cable is a good idea. Thanks idc.

A

Anonymous

the Shures sound good once you use the right size ear buds I use them alot around town when my wife is in Primark is a perfect time to stop the boredem

Messiah

Nick21:A very good Question Messiah. I would like to no the answer to that myself, I would like more volume than the ipod can give at times!

Are you just looking for more volume??

A

Anonymous

My pc is on the landing upstairs, Don't have or need alaptop

idc

Where do you want to go with this Nick?

1 - ipod into an amp and headphones is a very simple, compact and cheap set up. I cannot compare the Xcan to any of those in the link as I have not heard them. But at the time the Xcan was highly rated.

2 - if you want more volume and better sound for when you are out and about then you can get little battery powered portable amps which connect between the ipod and phones. Though the Grados leak sound and are not ideal for out and about listening.

3 - ultimately a PC into DAC into amp into phones will get the best sound of all. It is the route I plan when I have the means and space.

idc

Messiah

Ok, just thought I would explore the PC option. If you did want to use the PC you could stream your tunes via an Airport Express to the Beresford DAC but this would mean having your PC on. (If you have an iPhone or Touch you could also access your whole library from your armchair!)

If this is not an option then I would go with idc.

A

Anonymous

idc I want your option 1 ipod -amp-headphones.
I am happy with ipod-shures for around town.
Pc-dac-amp-headphones is not an option for the forseable future.

idc

Nick21:idc I want your option 1 ipod -amp-headphones.

OK, I am quite happy to recommend an ipod classic with the GQ-24 cable into an XcanV2 or V3 or V8 depending on budget and what you can find, as the first two will be second hand. However, since the headphones and ipod with the GQ cable are so portable, phone around your local dealers, see what they have and go and audition. This is an occasion when what you hear in the shop will be exactly what you hear when you get home.

A

Anonymous

I think you need to have a look on www.head-fi.org and look at some of the portable headphone amps. I have a Headamp Pico which was handmade for me in the States and sounds great. You lose the muddyness that you described when trying to use your Grados. Battery in my Pico lasts about 20 / 24 hrs of playback and it's portable. I use an ALO Cryo-Dock to connect my iPhone and 4th Gen iPod to the Pico. There are a couple of other headphone amps to look at, in particular he RSA Tomahawk and RSA Predator. You need to do a bit of research as there are a lot of really good solutions out there and What Hi-Fi can't cover them all, and don't. Mostly because they're US products hand made to order, hence why Head-Fi is such a good forum if that's what you're into.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Will I'll have a look! Also thanks idc the GQ-24 is out of stock but still can be ordered!.

idc

Your welcome Nick. It took 3 weeks for my GQ to arrive, RA seem to keep hardly any stock at the moment. If you do take it, your ipod and headphones to audition amps please let us know how you get on and what the dealers reaction is. Will you be the first to do so I wonder!

A

Anonymous

idc as promised I am back to tell you what I've bought/buying! I bought Project "headbox 2"
Brand new £36.00 and have just ordered a GQ-24 to connect them. I will upgrade later to either a better Headphone amp or Poss a Beresford dac with built in headphone amp, don't know which way is the best.
Thanks for your advise and help.
Nick.

idc

Nice one Nick, I just Googled it and found one on Superfi for £89.00! My amp is presently in Caithness being upgraded, new valves, capacitors, the lot! Deep joy for both of us then
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I have now got my Russ Andrews GQ-24(phono connections)and connected it up to my Project head amp2 with my Grado sr60's WoW what an improvement over using only the ipod. Loads more bass,refinement,and better mids and treble.I can't recommend getting a headphone amp and GQ-24 enough if you use your ipod alot it is a no brainer of an upgrade.A special thanks to idc for his advise!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts