Do you like a little fiction?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You've just put a CD in the player, or switched on a live concert on the radio, or settled down to a session with Spotify, maybe even an LP or a download from iTunes.

Your carefully chosen system is sounding fine and the music is transporting/relaxing/exciting you, repaying the time and money you spent to get it all right.

But is it really all right? Is there fiction lurking in the facsimile? You shake it off. Yes of course there is some. No recording process is perfect and no system is perfect. Live music will vary wildly between venues and studio music is but a layer of artifice atop the analogue (all at the whim of an engineer and the band). It sounds great, so what's the problem?

One problem is that somewhere back there, 'sounding right' turned into 'sounding great'. Another problem is that you went on the internet to seek wisdom on the matter! Before you had even formulated a question, a thousand strident voices had not only screamed their answers, but their owners had either taken sides against you or allied with you. Something about the way you said 'hello' maybe?

Somewhere, there in amongst the wall of noise, you can discern two overarching themes.

Either...

1) Accuracy is the goal, no matter how much or how little it might be at variance to what you find pleasurable about music. All else but measured accuracy is just fool's gold. You must only listen to what is measurably accurate and send your ears and brain to be 'politically rehabilitated' if they are reeling from the sudden absence of bourgeois pleasures (like warmth or deep bass or 'silky highs'). Anything but measured accuracy is 'subjective twaddle' whether you enjoy it or not. If some recordings sound awful then that's how it's supposed to be. Live with it or listen to something better recorded.

Or...

2) Choosing a system that portrays your chosen music in the way you like to hear it, by mixing and matching components and choosing speakers that flatter the acoustic properties of the room they are playing in and give you the warmth or edginess or silkiness (or whatever) you desire. Seeking the 'synergy' between music, system, room and you. No political rehabilitation required. You can be as 'bourgeois' as you like and to the limit you can afford. You can even care about what it all looks like (!) and care about the build/fit/finish to enhance your pride of ownership or to match your decor.

So do you enjoy a little 'fiction' when replaying music, or should it be eliminated - wherever possible - as a bourgeois lie?

John Duncan

All sound reproduction - whether from music or movies - is a figment of a producer's imagination, so I have long since reconciled myself to the fact that sounding good is to be preferred over sounding accurate. So sue me...

A

Anonymous

Not interested in providing an answer (since you already know!)

...rather just wanted to say this is a fantastic post and really made me smile :)

Thanks!

Just using the word "reproduction" perfectly defines audio. You're not sitting in the recording studio or concert... it's an interpretation of the original recording.

I certainly fall into Chebby's second catagory of having a sound I like as opposed to an "anorak assumption of music". Me? accuracy? I've had Arcam amps for 14 years....
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:All sound reproduction - whether from music or movies - is a figment of a producer's imagination, so I have long since reconciled myself to the fact that sounding good is to be preferred over sounding accurate. So sue me...

A

Anonymous

I wonder why DAC manufacturers provide options for digital filtering? Often the cleanest option is not that which is recommended by the hi-fi reviewer.

We all like a little noise perhaps?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'll have option 1 please.

i don't mind a warm and gooey sound, but i don't want my hifi making everything i play sound like that. want to listen to something edgey and angry? sorry, can't do it, this hifi only produces a warm and gooey sound - you'll have to go elsewhere for your anger fix...

and what happens to the recordings that have been produced to have a rich, warm sound? if your hifi is also rich and warm, i'll tell you what happens, you get treacle all over the floor.

oh, sorry, i forgot, it's only neutral and accurate kit that makes some recordings unlistenable...
emotion-1.gif

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
In some ways I would prefer a "warmer" sound than what I have at present, although I'm not unhappy with my set-up.

I have to listen at fairly low volumes which has somewhat dictated my choice of a "clearer" sounding system. I find that a "warmer" sound at low volumes - to my ears - tends towards a certain "muddiness" if that's the right term, hence my choice of the Focal's with my Marantz CDP and amp (which I find extremely adept at low levels). They have the right balance (again, to my ears) of detail, clarity, and punch for low volume listening and I am extremely happy with what I have for my circumstances. If I could listen at louder volumes then maybe I would have gone a different route, but who knows?

An excellent post and very thought provoking, which I'm sure (and hope) will run and run.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:All sound reproduction - whether from music or movies - is a figment of a producer's imagination, so I have long since reconciled myself to the fact that sounding good is to be preferred over sounding accurate. So sue me...

Pffft! Well, I just might sir! (Indignant face here)!!!

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:

i don't mind a warm and gooey sound, but i don't want my hifi making everything i play sound like that. want to listen to something edgey and angry? sorry, can't do it, this hifi only produces a warm and gooey sound - you'll have to go elsewhere for your anger fix... ]

Why does non-accurate sound have to be "warm"?

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I guess I fall into 1. Owning avi 9.1 speakers. as they are active and supposed to be very neutral . its true that it can really highlight faults in the original recording/production.

different versions of the same track from different albums /decades sound vastly different. and POP boy/ girl bands sound awful to me. but then ive never liked that sound. yet a well recorded shirley bassy album can now sound great wheras i didnt use to have her on my radar before at all. so its not all bad.

A

Anonymous

Answer 1:

You are a bald teetotaller and frown continually. You wear an Opus Dei-style length of barbed wire around your leg, You eat only salt, you do not own a television and you sleep on the floor. You listen only to BBC sine wave test recordings (100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz).

Answer 2:

You are luxuriantly haired and often the worse for drink. You eat gamey meats and laugh at things Spike Milligan did 35 years ago. You listen to Ornette Coleman and Motorhead. You have a pet goose called Steven.

John Duncan

AT750:
Answer 1:

You are a bald teetotaller and frown continually. You wear an Opus Dei-style length of barbed wire around your leg, You eat only salt, you do not own a television and you sleep on the floor. You listen only to BBC sine wave test recordings (100 Hz, 1 kHz, 10 kHz).

Answer 2:

You are luxuriantly haired and often the worse for drink. You eat gamey meats and laugh at things Spike Milligan did 35 years ago. You listen to Ornette Coleman and Motorhead. You have a pet goose called Steven.

I am liking your stereotypes. However, I can't help thinking I fall somewhere in the middle - I don't own a goose for starters.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
AT750:
Answer 1:

Answer 2:

i take offence my darling, my goose is called "Stephen"

A

Anonymous

bluebrazil:AT750:
Answer 1:

Answer 2:

i take offence my darling, my goose is called "Stephen"

No probs - while these portrayals are irrefutably based on hard fact,
there is a little room for manoeuvre in the specifics. Apologies to
Stephen anyway.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:Craig M.:

i don't mind a warm and gooey sound, but i don't want my hifi making everything i play sound like that. want to listen to something edgey and angry? sorry, can't do it, this hifi only produces a warm and gooey sound - you'll have to go elsewhere for your anger fix... ]

Why does non-accurate sound have to be "warm"?

it doesn't, i used warm as an example of a non-accurate sound. i could just as easily have made the point about a bright and detailed sound, great with some recordings but feed it something that was produced to sound bright and upfront and, well, i'm sure you know what i'm trying to say. having owned systems that were either overly warm (moon and dynaudio), or too bright (cambridge audio), give me neutral everytime. and lots of power. if it can't reproduce dynamics convincingly and clips at anything over a whisper, it's not accurate . and if it can't reproduce dynamics, then it's not musical either. all imo, of course.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Option 1 for me.
Inaccuracies/distortion may make some recordings sound more exciting, easier to listen to, etc., however I think it's a solution that's results on long-term dissatisfaction, upgrades, cable swaps, etc.
I think better to strive for as accurate a sound as possible, within the constraints of room, budget etc. and then accept that not all recordings will sound great.
With the march of computer based audio, perhaps we can configure in distortion when required, e.g., give me an under powered valve amp sound. This might make some recording sound 'better' however I certainly wouldn't want this to be an in-built limitation of my system!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
im pretty sure my overly warm dyno's have been tamed by my, "forward sounding" cyrus amp. some dudes blowing a trumpet like hes insane and the double bass player is playing two bars behind him, but it sounds good to me so im happy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for joining in.

The score sheet so far...

1) "Measure for Measure" 4 people

2) "As you like it". 8 people (I am counting 'bluebrazil' as a 2)

...and a couple of people who don't really want to commit but gave some interesting comments including a very good question from 'ashworth_rich'...

ashworth_rich:Why does non-accurate sound have to be "warm"?

Indeed. Why do some people assume that the only alternative to an 'accurate' system has to be a warm sounding one?

TRENDING THREADS