Do TT require burn in like a CD player?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Depending on the cartridge, between 70 to 100 hours as for the TT as long as it's pitch stable so it's up to speed then no time at all, phono stages are amps after all so some warm up period is needed but not as much as the cartridge. You'll know when you hit the sweet spot when a particular piece of music just sounds bloody wonderful.

A

Anonymous

Moving-coil cartridges usually take one LP side to sound listenable in my experience. I think MM ones are less demanding. Some phono stages take longer than others to warm up, ditto amplifiers generally.

Gregory - strange, I was listening to Close to the Edge first thing this morning. Like the 'warm-up' version of Siberia!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I listen to CTTE every week i never tire of it but hamburger concerto is the album to beat all prog albums, one thing Chris, i wish i had a moving coil that took only one side to break in, i play different albums over a week to get sufficient break in about 6 or 7 hours a day the missus gets a bit annoyed at times so it's good to use the old headphones which is a good way of checking the bias.

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:does a TT require a break in period before its at it optimum? How do you burn in a phono stage or by leaving it on is it warming up

Transducers like speakers and cartridges can improve with use but "burn in" of anything else is a function of your ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts