Do jumper cables make any difference??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After purchasing the B&W 685 today, i choose to go with the QED XT400 speaker cable as it sounds better when i'm listening to music at night a low volumes. The guy at the store asked if i wanted jumper cables instead of using the supplied gold plated connectors! Do these really make any difference??

A

Anonymous

from what ive read, yes, they can make a difference. typically the supplied connectors for most speakers are of a poorish quality. you dont need to buy seperate jumper cables though. you can make your own using offcuts from your speaker cable. you can also strip your cable in such as a way as to allow it to be connected to both HF and LF sets of terminals. goodluck

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
doh! :eek:)

As the connectors are so short I would surprised if the difference could be measured, let alone heard. The same applies to cart tags IMO.

A

Anonymous

I have tried this on my B&W CM1s, absolutely no difference at all, complete waste of time, stick with what the manufacturer gave you after all why would they give you an inferior product. Does not make any sense.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]
And who better to advise on jumpers than a fr0g?

[/quote]

I think your audience just croaked :)[/quote]

I don't think anyone could accuse you of gilding the lily fr0g

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]no chance

Some foolish people say its the same as biwiring, which it simply isn't for various reasons, not least of which is that biwiring gives you 2 sets of leads, and essentially half the resistance etc.

Copper is a far better conductor than brass, but then the wires you use are far thinner. The only difference it will make is if you connect with overly thin wires, and then the difference will be a reduction in sound quality.

IMO its complete hi-fi nonsense, along with green pens and the like.
[/quote]

When does 'thin' become 'overly thin'?jules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Romero"]After purchasing the B&W 685 today, i choose to go with the QED XT400 speaker cable as it sounds better when i'm listening to music at night a low volumes.

The guy at the store asked if i wanted jumper cables instead of using the supplied gold plated connectors! Do these really make any difference??[/quote]

I've heard that jumper cables give a nice warm sound.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]
I've heard that jumper cables give a nice warm sound.
[/quote]

The best ones are the ones your Grandma knits for you. You don't appreciate them at the time, but a home-made jumper cable is a jumper cable made with love.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
"...fantastically warm and soft..."

Who wouldn't want one? Provided you pair it with something a bit leaner and more dynamic in the trouser department, of course.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Just before it reaches 'excessively thin'

[/quote]
Brilliant
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Simon Lucas"]"...fantastically warm and soft..."

Who wouldn't want one? Provided you pair it with something a bit leaner and more dynamic in the trouser department, of course.

[/quote]

A belt driven turntable will hold things up nicely.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]Is a tight fit better?

390598881L_2.jpg

[/quote]

Not always. It can result in a constricted mid and a lack of image. IOW, it may sound pants.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Masterbluster"]
[quote user="gpi"]Is a tight fit better?

390598881L_2.jpg

[/quote]

Not always. It can result in a constricted mid and a lack of image. IOW, it may sound pants.

[/quote]

IOW? Don't know that one.

A

Anonymous

Acronym Definition
IOW I/O Write
IOW In Other Words
IOW Information Operations Warfare
IOW Innovators of Wrestling
IOW Integrated Optical Waveguide
IOW Intelligence Operations Workstation (USMC)
IOW International Office for Water
IOW Isle Of Wight

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts