Do I really need an iPod dock?

weddingblock6

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This might be a silly question but...

An iPod connects to a Mac via USB.

A Musical Fidelity M1 (or almost any other DAC) has a USB input.

So if all I want is the digital signal out of my iPod, do I really need an iPod dock? Can't I just plug the iPod into the DAC via USB - or does a dock do something that a DAC on its own can't?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless the M1 is specifically rated to work with the iPod (and I'm pretty sure it's not) then this will not work. Apple charge manufacturers a lot of money to unlock the digital audio. A dock will probably be the only way to get digital to the M1. Some Android phones support this feature without even needing to be rooted (Galaxy SIII, Note II are ones I know of), but none of the Apple lineup do.

weddingblock6

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply quadpatch. I thought it seemed too easy.

Next question then is - if all I'm after is the digital output to an external DAC, is there any reason to buy anything other than the cheapest dock (as long as it has a digital out)?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested any, but it won't make any difference to the sound. It's best to check that they support your iPod. If it's not the latest one then upgrading later will only be compatible with a converter (since the dock connector has now changed).

If you don't have the latest iPod and you just want a digital out then you can get ther Pure i-20 (£70), it has a remote and apparently (according to amazon) has it's own internal DAC for the RCA outputs (which I find surprising and rather pointless).

Something like the Teac DS-H01 has a decent DAC (Burr Brown 1796) but that is £200 and I think that's what you want to avoid anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts