Do I need an new AV amp if I upgrade to HD TV & Blu-ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm not an AV expert, so some advice is needed:

I'm planning to upgrade from standard definition TV, DVDs and Sky+ a HD TV (Sony KDL-37EX503), Blu-ray (Sony BDP-S370) and Sky+HD.

Do I need to change my AV amp? My current AV amp is a Yamaha AX750SE which has no HDMI interconnects, only component or digital/optical video inputs.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The Sony has no multi channel outputs, so would need HDMI to work......Sky HD sound is sent via optical, which i assume your receiver has..........picture can go directly to tv via HDMI

So, it you defo want the Sony, it's a new receiver.....otherwise look for a player that has multi channel outputs on it....

daveh75

If you want HD audio from Blu-Ray,you've got a couple of choices...

Either, keep your current amp, and go for a BD player that has multi-channel analogue outputs and can decode the HD audio on-board( so not the Sony), Or go with the Sony and upgrade your amp to a newer model that has HDMI.

For Sky+HD, connect it direct to TV by HDMI and to the amp via optical or coaxial - Sky+HD boxes only do Dolby Digital 5.1 at best but can't ouput it over HDMI any way, only optical or coaxial, so there's no real benefit to be gained by upgrading the amp for use with Sky.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I would stick with the existing amp and get a bluray player that has 5.1 analogue outs. You will save quite a bit of money, and it will work just as well.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Alant01,

Besides the WHF team, none of us here are experts! We are all A/V enthusiasts, some just having more experience than others.

Are you planning to get a 5.1 surround sound system in the near future? With a new HD TV and blu-ray player, you will still not benefit from HD audio if it's played through your TV, and you really need a good speaker system to complete the experience.

This might also influence the choice of your amplifier.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

I'm grateful for the thoughtful advice coming so quickly to my request.

Yes, I do have a 5.1 surround-sound system currently, built around the Yamaha AV amp, a Denon DVD player and Mission speakers. I have a standard definition Panasonic CRT TV, which is good but BIG.

My aim is to go to HD TV and a Blu-ray player without, hopefully, having to replace the amp. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my first posting.

So far, it looks as if it'd be better to go for a Blu-ray player with multi-channel outputs, which minimises the spend on new kit (after a recent house move it seems that carpets and curtains have to take precedence!).

alant01:
I'm grateful for the thoughtful advice coming so quickly to my request.

Yes, I do have a 5.1 surround-sound system currently, built around the Yamaha AV amp, a Denon DVD player and Mission speakers. I have a standard definition Panasonic CRT TV, which is good but BIG.

My aim is to go to HD TV and a Blu-ray player without, hopefully, having to replace the amp. Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my first posting.

So far, it looks as if it'd be better to go for a Blu-ray player with multi-channel outputs, which minimises the spend on new kit (after a recent house move it seems that carpets and curtains have to take precedence!).

Hi alant01

I would hold on to your Yamaha DSP-AX750SE as it is still a good amplifier. As has already been suggested picture from the Sky box can go via HDMI to the tv and sound via optical into the Yamaha amp. A Blu ray player with internal decoding for HD audio via multi channel analogue output into the Yamaha's multi channel input amp and the picture again via HDMI into the television.

Btw, depending on budget another Blu ray player also worth considering is Yamaha's BD-S1900.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Musicraft,

Yamaha blu-ray players are 'underwhelming' in terms of the competition.

The BD-S1900 is a 3 **** machine and is of no comparison to either the S-760 or the BD85.
http://whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-BD-S1900/
I think you really should exercise a little more objectivity, rather than to just keep pushing Yamaha whenever an opportunity arises, even bad ones!

Ronald

Hi Ronald

I feel the BD-S1900 is an excellent player. I have have used the BD-S1900 almost constantly now with confidence for nine months with Pioneer Kuro screens and even with amplification of the calibre like Yamaha's own DSP-Z11 and Chord electronics DSP8000/SPM3005. This despite having access to numerous players costing many times more then the BD-S1900. Hence why i feel confident in recommending the player.

I am going to differ with you because after having dealt with many Yamaha products over the years i don't recall them having come up with a bad product. On the contrary the one thing which i have learnt over the years (i don't say this likely) is Yamaha inspires confidence.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Why not look at the LG BD390 -- £169 at Richer Sounds and has the requisite multichannel analogue outs.

It's a five star product and well built. Seems like a sensible option to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts