Do I need a power amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI,

My current setup consists of: Kef Calinda speakers, Rega Mira amp Rega Planet CD player (Both the clamshel models) and a Technics 1210 mk5 with Rega RB251 tone arm (cartridge AT 440MLa)

The amount of volume is fine when playing CD's but when using the turntable I have to turn the amp quite far wich I feel should be unnecessary. I was thinking of getting the Rega Maia power amp (clamshel version to match current amp and CD) Would I gain any more volume buying this power amp or any power amp at all?

I have also considered selling the amp and buying something different but I really like the sound I have, I just want a bit more grunt when playing my records.

I have always wanted the Rega Maia power amp and the Rega DAC anyway so if the power amp gives a bit more volume then great, my problem is solved. But if it doesn't, I'm still stuck with what route to go down, a dedicated phono stage maybe?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Paul

A

Anonymous

If the volume on the CD player is OK then adding a power amp isn't going to do anything to increase the volume from the turntable.

The Audio Technica Cartridge you have has an output of 4mv, whereas some other cartridges (e.g. Goldring 1042, Linn Adikt) have an output of 6.5mv. Switching to one of these cartridges (or another higher output cartridge) would give a bit more volume.

Your other option is to get a separate phono stage with a higher gain than the phono stage in your amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have owned a goldring 1042 before the AT and you're right, i remember it being slightly louder but inner groove distortion was terrible on the goldring. The AT is miles better IMO so I won't be changing the cart any time soon.

What suggestions do you have for a phono stage, I'll give my self a budget of around £250 for one used or new. What sort of improvements will I get overall from having a seperate Phono stage?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Something like the Trichord Dino Mk II will give you an improvement, plus you can adjust the gain to suit your cartridge.

I haven't compared it with any Regas, but compared with something like the 640P or the Lehmann Black Cube, for example, it gives better definition, a wider soundstage and, the thing that struck me most, greater realism.

Try and borrow a unit from a dealer for a couple of days. It's a good idea anyway, but the Trichord has an Achilles heel when it comes to picking up electrical interference, so you need to check that you can find a spot to minimise this.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
With some dedicated phono stage/amp you can adjust the output gains for your cartridge thus giving better over all volume. The already mentioned Dino is a good shout or the Korora from Firestone Audio could be worth a look at. This can be bought from Russ Andrews and they have a 60 days returns policy, just read the small print.

Before you do that though it would be worth finding out more about your own Rega phono stage and the output gains for it and compare with a possible new stand alone phono stage. You may find it is adequate and it is quite normal for the volume knob to be cranked some more with vinyl because of the low output of a cartridge and gains, as long as it is sensible cranking!

A

Anonymous

If you add a power amp with a greater Watts power rating than your current amp then you will be able to play louder before clipping.

TRENDING THREADS