Do I need a cable and interconnect upgrade?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi peeps,

Some of you will know i've just bought a second-hand set-up (which I have posted in 'my system') which I love so much I think it might ruin my life (I got it thursday and i've had 12 hour listening sessions that day, Friday and yesterday! 'just one more track......')

My question is this:

I'm using the cables/ interconnect from the previous system, are they letting the side down, now that the rest of the set up is quality?

The interconnect is a £20 monster cable

The speaker cables are also Monster. Was £20 for ten metres.

If the consensus is 'yes, upgrade you fool', what to? 

Let's say a budget of £10 per mtr for the speaker cable.

Up to £100 for the interconnect.

Have at it fellas (and chick, if Clare wants in!), gimme the info! 

A

Anonymous

No
emotion-2.gif

t's up to you. The interconnect / cable thing has been done to death on this forum.

I'd say - if you must then do the speaker cables first. As to what to change to. Well first off you need to figure out what you think the system lacks currently. (or has too much of) Then you find a speaker cable that has the qualities to help put the missing something back (or removes the excess). Then you fit that.

Google for "the audio critic" as a starting point for your reading or consult Wiki which also has some useful articles.

matthewpiano

Hmmm. Very difficult. If you are having perfectly contented 12 hour sessions I'd be wary about changing anything at the moment.

If you do want to make a change I'd certainly recommend Chord Company Crimson interconnect. At £38 its excellent value and sounds brilliant.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah now, bird is fine
emotion-43.gif

But seriously - i'd agree with the guys above: try before you buy. Sure you can do better than the cabling you've got, but that doesn't guarantee you'd prefer the sound

T

the record spot

Very true; having been down the Nordost Blue Heaven route recently, if you do plan to change anything try and get some background info on what the construction properties are and how that goes with the gear you have. Solid core copper will make things a bit warmer I think (at least my Audioquest cables do) whereas other materials will pep things up a bit. Depends what you need it for.

However, if you like what you hear, stick with it for a while. If it ain't broke.....!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I have found in the last couple of days that, when cranked up a wee bit, the treble becomes hard and overpowering. This was not a problem at the audition, so i'm figuring the cables are to blame.

A

Anonymous

For me, cables are for fine-tuning. So you can get a better performance, IF you choose the cable that suits your system (and taste) better.

Monster ICs are quite good for the money. Not the most detailed around, but they have a balanced sound. Their speaker cables are a bit expensive considering the performance. They sound just as a "bulk" cable, but they are priced like a brand cable. If you want more speed, detail, and a more precise stereo image, I'm sure you can do better trying a Nordost or something similar.

Someone mentioned AQ. I've owned their entry level Type 4, and I think they are over-priced; Monster stuff sounded almost just as good (the AQ had less grain, but that was about it) when I compared them (at home), and are much cheaper. IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS