Do I get the most out of my B&W PM1 speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have bought B&W's PM1 speakers and use the Rotel RA1062 for amplifier and an oppo BDP-93 to play CD's. Do I get the best quality auido into my speakers?

Do I need to add DAC to my oppo or should I just go for a pure CD player?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the Forums :)

First things first... Damn nice speakers! Did you buy the matching stands? Tests suggest the speakers perform best on these optimised companions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Audio_swe, and welcome to the clan.

With those speakers, you have a lot of headroom to get considerably better components. The better the amp and source, the better they will sound.

Everything needs to be in balance (cost wise), as a cheap amp won't get the best out of an expensive source; and an expensive amp can often show up a cheap source, especially with revealing speakers.

IMO. Those speakers wouldn't be out of place in a system costing £6k

I'm not entirely sure that was the answer you were looking for. :shifty:

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello and as CNO says welcome.If you are just going to use CD's then a DAC wont be neccessary. Whether you change the Oppo is another question.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
However....... if you are using the Oppo for Blu Rays as well then an offboard DAC could improve the sound when spinning Cds. These days there are plenty of choise in the DAC world. At £500 Rega's DAC should do the job nicely.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be safe to say that you could get a lot more out of the Speakers.

A lot depends on what sort of budget you have.....have you just recently purchased the speakers, as if you have, you must have had an aim in mind.

Further info would be useful.

A

Anonymous

Thank you. Yes, got the matching stands - it set's you back a bit more but they look amazing and defnintely enhances the sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't have a real budget constraints. I was informed the oppo could do a good job playing CD's and since I anyway wanted a good Blueray player I started off with the oppo. If I need to upgrade to a better CD player it's still not a waste of money.

The Rotel AR1062 was recommended in the store, but reflecting on that they may just have recommended whatever they wanted to get rid off. At the same time I read that B&W use Rotel to driver their speakers in the factory tests...?

Anyway, I don't really have a budget constraint. I want to get an awesome sound out of my speakers when I play CD's (and I listen to anything from jazz, rock, hip-hop and classic.

Moving forward, I also need to add a good streamer to play FLAC.

Thanks again all - great to see a lot of answers the first time I post here.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you looking for advice at this stage, and are you thinking of changing your amp?

It is vital that if you want some suggestions, that you give a budget.

IMO. If you get a good Streamer, there is no need for a CDP

If you want suggestions for an amp, it would also help if you could give some details of how you like the music to sound eg. Smooth but detailed or more forward and analytical.

If they were my speakers, I would match them with something like a Linn Majik DS and a Masterclass IA-4 amp; but without details of your budget and taste, this may be irrelevant.

Other good amps you might like to to consider are from Leema, ATC, Musical Fidelity, Pathos and Electrocompaniet.....apologies if this is all moving too fast.

A

Anonymous

Yes - I would be willing to consider changing my amp and I am very much looking for some solid advice.

I would be willing to spend 5K pounds on a amp+CDP or amp+Streamer.

I like my music more detailed and analytical.

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That's a good budget.

On the streamer end I would look at:

Cyrus Stream XP
Linn Majik DS

On the amp end:

Cyrus....Maybe Pre XP + 2 x Mono X 200s (not familiar with latest gear so others may help more)
ATC.....SIA2-150
Leema...Tucana Mk.11
Bel Canto..Pre 3VB + Ref 150S (or S 125)
Musical Fidelity M6i

These are just my possible ideas and listed in order of possible suitability....Synergy with the speakers is vital, so you will need to line up some demos, of what's available locally.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
How about a Naim SuperUniti as an integrated amp and streaming source, and you can connect the oppo up via digital if you ever want to spin a CD?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Another amp that I forgot to mention, that should fit the bill: Primare Pre 30 + A33.2 Power

and another Source - Audiolab 8200 CD (Q)

A

Anonymous

Great - thanks for all advice. Will look into this and let you know what I finally will go for.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that you currently used a Rotel amp as I heard the PM1 sounding fantastic on the end of the Rotel all-in-one 100w job (can't remember the name) at the Ceritech show last year. That's a digital amp so the Primare i22 may be good too.

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the Roksan Caspian m2 with these Speakers and I am very happy but i am considering adding the m2 power amp. I also have the rega dac between my sonos and the amp and this was a fantastic addition.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts