do banana plugs make a difference or are they just for neatness....

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Until I visited this and other forums I had never seen speaker cable pushed in the terminals in banana plugs I had always done as per intructions and stripped the cable pushing the wire through the hole in the terminal thread. just wondering if there is any noticable difference using the plug method....?

daveh75

No just convenience really, though banana plug's can prevent oxidisation of the cable and also prevent accidental shorts from stray bit's of wire that you can get from using bare wire!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Sizzer, I like the idea of spades myself, but found I couldn't get them to fit on the DM37. The way the termination is made its either banana or bare wire into the hole and screw up tight. How did you do yours?

A

Anonymous

lcd4ever:Until I visited this and other forums I had never seen speaker cable pushed in the terminals in banana plugs I had always done as per intructions and stripped the cable pushing the wire through the hole in the terminal thread. just wondering if there is any noticable difference using the plug method....?

If you mean sound wise, no.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:

lcd4ever:Until I visited this and other forums I had never seen speaker cable pushed in the terminals in banana plugs I had always done as per intructions and stripped the cable pushing the wire through the hole in the terminal thread. just wondering if there is any noticable difference using the plug method....?

If you mean sound wise, no.

Agreed Cyril. I think its just a 'convenience' thing, especially when trying to connect up in confined spaces. Much easier to use banana or spade when you can't actually see the hole your're trying to thead bare wire into.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Didn't say that I was using them @ 800, just that I preferred them! Stupid plastic collar at the base messes it all up so just using bare wire, and although it's adequate you don't get the tightest of connections with those cheapo plastic terminal screws. The whole unit is just SO well built so why scrimp on that?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Didn't say that I was using them @ 800, just that I preferred them! Stupid plastic collar at the base messes it all up so just using bare wire, and although it's adequate you don't get the tightest of connections with those cheapo plastic terminal screws. The whole unit is just SO well built so why scrimp on that?

Yeah, know what u mean. I'm so tight on space at the back of the unit that bananas are out, not enough space for the length of them, so I thought spades would be the answer. Sadly not to be, and because of the restricted space I have, ended up tinning the bare wires so at least its a bit easier getting them into the holes without splaying the ends.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know how to connect banana plugs to Tannoy F1`s? the design doesn't seam to allow it.

A

Anonymous

I'm just guessing here that the plugs have the little plastic stoppers in the end.....just prise the stoppers out and you will find a 4mm hole there for the plugs......

A

Anonymous

8009514:
Yeah, know what u mean. I'm so tight on space at the back of the unit that bananas are out, not enough space for the length of them, so I thought spades would be the answer. Sadly not to be, and because of the restricted space I have, ended up tinning the bare wires so at least its a bit easier getting them into the holes without splaying the ends.

Hope you realize that tinning wires for connections that are based on pressure (screws or springs) are not regarded as a good practice in electronics. Since the wire ends can not be squeezed anymore the contact surface is compromized.

Pete10

A

Anonymous

Pete10:8009514:

Hope you realize that tinning wires for connections that are based on pressure (screws or springs) are not regarded as a good practice in electronics. Since the wire ends can not be squeezed anymore the contact surface is compromized.

Pete10

Agreed, if you need to tin the ends, to stop any stray ends/shorts, only do the end couple of mm.

TRENDING THREADS