Do 4 star £950 speakers become 5 star if they are £599 ?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I would say that is a very good deal and if they are equal (or almost) to speakers costing £950 they are bound to be worth 5 stars as price is one of the considerations of reviews.

A

Anonymous

I'd give them 6 because 6 is the new 5, 5 is sooo yesterday.

A

Anonymous

I would absolutely say that they deserve five stars at that price. I've heard some comment that they even prefer their balance to the SA1. Just because they're a couple of years old doesn't make them poor performers and new products seem to just sound different.

igglebert:I would absolutely say that they deserve five stars at that price. I've heard some comment that they even prefer their balance to the SA1. Just because they're a couple of years old doesn't make them poor performers and new products seem to just sound different.

Absolutely - also look at it this way. It doesn't really matter if a product has zero stars, if you love it then to you it's 5 stars.

Interesting thread, chebs.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, the WHF star ratings definately include price. In general, as price increases, quality increases. Therefore, the more expensive an item is, the tougher it is to get 5 stars since the competition is of higher quality. So most, if not all, 4 star rated products will be 5 star rated as the purchase price decreases.

With all that said, if you can demo a product, the WHF rating should be meaningless. WHF ratings should just be used to create your short list prior to demos.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Well, the WHF star ratings definately include price. In general, as price increases, quality increases. Therefore, the more expensive an item is, the tougher it is to get 5 stars since the competition is of higher quality. So most, if not all, 4 star rated products will be 5 star rated as the purchase price decreases.

With all that said, if you can demo a product, the WHF rating should be meaningless. WHF ratings should just be used to create your short list prior to demos.

Depends on the category. If you look at turntables, there's only one price band which runs from £175 up to many thousands, so they're all theoretically competing against each other, yet there are few models that don't get 5 stars. This means that the budget Pro-ject is as good as an LP12, and I, for one, simply don't believe that.

The other problem is that WHF likes a certain sort of sound at the moment, which I don't, and I've found some of their 3 and 4 star products suit my tastes more than the so-called class leaders.

The WHF rating system is both contradictory and flawed, as I've flagged before. I certainly wouldn't rely on their ratings alone to create a shortlist, there are many other sources of reviews out there. Anyway, in the end it doesn't matter whether WHF gives one or five stars, it's all down to personal taste.

A

Anonymous

HI,

I got mine in light beech for 410 quid, so bought the super dreadnoughts. I got to admit, they are great speakers, and will satisfy you loads at the lesser price.

Go buy them, as they look the part and sound great too.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Wondered the same thing when I was considering my Spendor purchase...I would think these would be as good if not better other 600 quid speakers, so worth a listen. There was a thread recently of someone who took advantage of these discount prices and was happy if i remember correctly.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Tarquinh that the WHF system is purely a guide and represents what the WHF people like - which seems in the amplifier department to err towards clean, lean, fast, forward sounding products.

They do a great job, but personally there is a lot you may overlook by using their reviews only. For instance you may well prefer a warmer or full bodied sound that can easily be overlooked.

If it were me starting out i would demo 3 or 4 systems that are quite different in presentation to see what kind of sound i prefer first. Take WHF 5 star only and you will probably only compare fairly similar sounding systems.

Also on main topic WHF reviews definately are price affected so if the product is still a fairly recent development such as those Spendors and you get it a lot cheaper then it will probably gain a star on the way. I used this approach to set up my system getting my Arcams for under £700 each and if i compare to what you can get now for that price i still rate mine an easy 5 star in that price range.

kuangben1202

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I got my Spendor S3e in walnut for £600 few months ago. They definitely worth the money as others said - both the look and sound. I got them paired up with Cyrus 6vs2 and I like the clean and detailed treble, realistic mid-range and reasonable tight and accurate bass.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Depends on the category. If you look at turntables, there's only one price band which runs from £175 up to many thousands, so they're all theoretically competing against each other, yet there are few models that don't get 5 stars. This means that the budget Pro-ject is as good as an LP12, and I, for one, simply don't believe that.

Erm, that's not how it works. Just because there's only one category in the Buyer's Guide, it doesn't mean that a 5 star £175 Pro-ject turntable is as good as a £1,995 LP12. It simply means the Pro-ject Genie 2 is one of the best turntables available for around £200 and the £1,995 LP12 is one of the best turntables at around the £2,000 price - they're not competing against each other because that's a ridiculous comparision to make.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thank you, professorhat, I was just about to post the same reply! Given that there are (relatively) few turntables in the Buying Guide, there isn't a huge amount of space in which to break it up into more price bands.

Of course we're not saying that a budget Pro-ject is as good as an LP12. WHF?SV has always reviewed on a sound/vision-per-pound basis, taking price and value into account and comparing products to their price rivals.

A

Anonymous

Are you getting cynical in your old age John
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:
Thank you, professorhat, I was just about to post the same reply! Given that there are (relatively) few turntables in the Buying Guide, there isn't a huge amount of space in which to break it up into more price bands.

Of course we're not saying that a budget Pro-ject is as good as an LP12. WHF?SV has always reviewed on a sound/vision-per-pound basis, taking price and value into account and comparing products to their price rivals.

Which is why, I presume, nearly every turntable irrespective of price gets 5 stars since they're all equally good, yet the turntable which is "arguably the best-sounding sub-£1000 turntable there is" only gets 4.

Let's be honest, it's a forgotten category.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It may surprise you to know that not many new turntables are released over the course of a year, so it's hardly surprising this is one of the smallest categories in the Buying Guide.

And would it kill you to say something positive for once?
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh: more moaning and whining

Tarquinh, if you find the magazine that useless why do you bother reading it? If I thought it was that bad I wouldn't waste my money on it. I just don't understand the mentality of paying money for something you don't actually like.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Would Chablis be better buy than Hardy's Chardonnay if they cost £5 each?

A big yes.....but only if you like drinking Chablis!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:Chablis/Chardonnay, I'll take either!

You see at 1p per bottle for Chablis or Chardonnay it would be poor value for me as the grape they come from is revolting and makes me grimace.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts