DIY Freesat setup - advice, please!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Humax's Foxy PVR's been delivered (£210 via Amazon), my neighbour's kindly offered the spare outputs on his dish. Now all I need are the correct cable(s) and connectors. Ummm...?? Can anyone please advise as to which type/brand of cable and connectors I need? Suggestions re trustworthy web-based sellers would also be handy, please. I'm also curious how the two cables from the dish 'transform' from two-into-one in order to plug into the back of the Humax? Apparently I also need a 'crimping tool', but these gadgets seem a tad pricey for what will be one-off use - can anyone suggest an effective version that costs less than a fortnight at Sandy Lane, please? Ta [:)]

daveh75

6th.replicant:Humax's Foxy PVR's been delivered (£210 via Amazon), my neighbour's kindly offered the spare outputs on his dish. Now all I need are the correct cable(s) and connectors. Ummm...??Firstly a word of warning, your neighbours kindness could result in electrocution!!!!

If you're going to be sharing a dish with a neighbour then the LNB/Cables MUST be earth bonded (via connection through an earth bonding plate).If the equipment isn't earth bonded and you or your neighbour happen to be on different electrical phases(fed from different supplies) and a fault occurs in either property, then there is a risk of a 450v shock!

It's the very same reason all communal/IRS systems have to be earth bonded...

To meet electical regs,the earth bonding needs to be undertaken by a competent person, i.e an electrician...It will work out cheaper and be less hassle to install your own dish TBH.

Can anyone please advise as to which type/brand of cable and connectors I need? Suggestions re trustworthy web-based sellers would also be handy, please.

Webro WF100. The cable an f connectors can be bought from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#WF100twinCUTI'm also curious how the two cables from the dish 'transform' from two-into-one in order to plug into the back of the Humax?

They don't...The Humax HDR has two inputs as it has twin tuners.

Apparently I also need a 'crimping tool', but these gadgets seem a tad pricey for what will be one-off use - can anyone suggest an effective version that costs less than a fortnight at Sandy Lane, please?

Ta
emotion-1.gif

You don't need a crimper...You can buy 'Screw on' F connectors that as the name implies screw/twist on. Or alternertively satcure can terminate the cables for you.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
It will be cheaper to have your own dish than pay an engineer to earth bond your neighbours dish.

I must admit I have never had much success with screw on F connectors, they always seem to work loose. I am fortunate that I have the proper crimping tool.

daveh75

chudleighpaul:I must admit I have never had much success with screw on F connectors, they always seem to work loose. I am fortunate that I have the proper crimping tool.Its because they can vary in size ever so slightly, so it's important to get the right ones for the make/type of cable you're using - Then they're fine...Use snap 'n' seals myself though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts