DIY Amplifiers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it possible? I have always wanted to design and produce an integrated amplifier, especially solid-state and I am wondering if any of you have attempted and/or succeeded! RS components seem to sell all the equipment I need...but I'm a little short on the brains to do it. Does anybody have any advice for me? Any help appreciated!!! : )

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
in theory valve amps are easier to build as they are hard wired so no pcb's but you should be very competent with a soldering iron. there is an excellent site called tangent tutorials with video streams that you can follow. i am about to undertake my first project but am lucky enough to have a friend who is an electronics engineer so if i do get into any difficulties at least i have him on hand. my advice would be to start with spade connectors to speaker cables and those little projects that maplins sells. im sure you know hughesy about lethal voltages so do take care. i will let you know how im getting on next week. good luck, gregory.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]
It'll take you a while to surpass the FMJ I reckon.[/quote]

Haha! I hope so!

Do you think I could use parts from my old JVC A-X400 and A-X5, and from my SONY old home-cinema amplifier? My main problem is that I understand how transistors (MOSFET etc), op-amps and all that stuff work, but I don't know why I need them in there! Could somebody shed a little light on what passive parts I will need! (I havn't even done my physics GCSE yet!)

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Hughsey, as the saying goes: "anything is possible". RS will indeed have nearly everything you need to build it, and if you can make one as good as, or better, than your Arcam then I'll buy one off you.

You'll need a bit of help though, I just did a quick search on Amazon and came up with this book: High-Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual: 50 to 500 Watts for the Audio Perfectionist by G. Randy Slone, which might point you in the right direction, but have a good look around for other books, like I said I only did a quick trawl.

A friend of my father made one several years ago, it sounded pretty good to me, don't know if it's still going though.

Good luck with the project, I'll be interested to see how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Gregory, only just read your post! I hope it goes okay...perhaps I will try some of Maplin's kits, they're only just down the road! They like me after I bought 6m of their *best* hi-fi cable anyway!

A

Anonymous

Just read your too Joe! Lol. The only problem I see with some of the components/books are that they are more biased towards power rather than accuracy...I would rather build a good-sounding 10watter than a c@@p sounding 1000watter if you know what I mean.
My grandad about 20 years ago according to my dad (grandad was very good at electronics) and he said it was good for the £300 spent on it, but a £300 JVC was apparently better.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
yes i like maplins as well, i bought some of their 79 strand cable about £1.00 a metre, bloody good cable, have to say though do you mind telling us what their best cable is. thanks.

A

Anonymous

I think this is what I've got: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=55&doy=19m4

Sounds pretty good to me - I have the bi-wire version...I terminated it myself and put some Profigold banana clips on the end...cost about £40 in total I think.

A

Anonymous

I know some state of the art class D ones, they sound not bad either, hahaha.

A

Anonymous

Unless that is, I build my own speakers....easier defiently...and I would like some new ones anyway...hmmm....decisions, decisions...

A

Anonymous

Ok. Decision made. I going to make some speakers first to get me into the groove.

What type shall I make? I baffle, ported, transmission line? Floorstander or standmount? 2 way or 3 way?

A

Anonymous

I've decided to make some Transmission Lines and am ordering the S4 Kevlar ones off IPL on a recommendation...I'm going to regret it I'm sure!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I believe a competitors magazine offers great advise on DIY speaker cabinet building with input from Peter Comeau, an experienced and well regarded electronics expert/speaker designer. They also have advise/order facilities for drive units/crossover components. Unfair to mention the title here but I'm sure you'll find it it you want to.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes, Comeau of World Designs...I know the mag...cheers Drummerman!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts