DIY Aerial question

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought a Revo Pico radio but it only comes with a telescopic aerial and no socket for an external rooftop aerial.

This is disappointing as Pure Dab radios have the option to unscrew the telescopic aerial and connect an external aerial.

I just wondered if someone can suggest how I might connect a rooftop aerial to the Revo - is there a way of doing this with some sort of DIY lash up?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I can only think of something I did many years ago. Make a tube, paper/cardboard or whatever, which can only just slip over the telescopic on your Revo. Wrap a lot of turns of thin wire around it, then connect other end to centre connector of outdoor aerial socket. Its not great or particularly nice looking, but it worked for me when I was in the middle east. Enabled me to pick up BBC Worldservice pretty well and a load of other radio signals as well. That was Short wave signals I was trying to get though. How it'll work for Dab reception is anybodys guess. Might be worth a try and certainly won't cost much.

It worked a lot better than just connecting to the telescopic aerial with a crocodlie clip!

Rich

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
8009514:
I can only think of something I did many years ago. Make a tube, paper/cardboard or whatever, which can only just slip over the telescopic on your Revo. Wrap a lot of turns of thin wire around it, then connect other end to centre connector of outdoor aerial socket. Its not great or particularly nice looking, but it worked for me when I was in the middle east. Enabled me to pick up BBC Worldservice pretty well and a load of other radio signals as well. That was Short wave signals I was trying to get though. How it'll work for Dab reception is anybodys guess. Might be worth a try and certainly won't cost much.

It worked a lot better than just connecting to the telescopic aerial with a crocodlie clip!

Rich

Thanks Rich that is exactly the kind of "lash up" I was thinking of ! - I'll give it a try.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Let us know how it goes. If its a stunning success I'll try to patent it and flog them through Maplins or somewhere.
emotion-2.gif

Rich

A

Anonymous

visionary:8009514:

Let us know how it goes. If its a stunning success I'll try to patent it and flog them through Maplins or somewhere.
emotion-2.gif

Rich

Nah! Try for Dragon's Den

Am no investin so am owt
emotion-8.gif

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
theadmans:
I have just bought a Revo Pico radio but it only comes with a telescopic aerial and no socket for an external rooftop aerial.

This is disappointing as Pure Dab radios have the option to unscrew the telescopic aerial and connect an external aerial.

I just wondered if someone can suggest how I might connect a rooftop aerial to the Revo - is there a way of doing this with some sort of DIY lash up?

Are you sure you can't unscrew the telescopic aerial, had the same issue on the Cambridge One I bought, unscrewed the aerial and replaced with an "F" fitting I think, which will take a coax lead, ran a couple of meters up the wall, refitted the telescopic aerial, hid some of the DIY away and now have reasonable DAB reception

I do admit that Cambridge included the special hex fitting tool to do the job, however it has worked out well

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
No F type connector a la Pure I'm afraid.

I have tried the Wire lash up suggested by Rich and yes it does work !

Now on Dab instead of bubbling mud I have a signal strength of around 80 most of the time - thanks.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Great, now applying for patent, new company to be formed (probably called 'LashUps R Us'). First product likely to be the 'Audiophile DAB Enhancer'

Glad it worked for you.
emotion-21.gif

Rich.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts