DIY acoustic panels

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested in making some acoustic panels for my lounge, a couple behind my speakers and a couple behind me on the back wall. I've looked at B&Q which supply some Rockwell on rolls but it doesn't seem thick enough?

Also does anybody know where I can get some pattern/colour acoustic material to cover my panels which will keep the missus happy.

I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock, there's lots of threads here on this topic, with answers to all your questions and more. Suggest you do a search first and then ask if there are any points not covered or which you fon't understand.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
100mm for walls. 150min corners. 50mm easier to handle and cut than 100mm. More easily available too.Most use a stout frame but my build is lighter using 6mm wooden panel & bolted corner brackwts. Wire used to brace the frame corner to corner.

Dependant on room but I found corner triangles worked the most magic.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
michael hoy said:
stevebrock said:
I did look at Camira, they have some great material but no indication if it's is acoustic material.

Any help appreciated

Contact them, they are very helpful.

The sell Cara and I also know that Lucia is good for this project.

Both Cara and Lucia are specifically for use with acoustics also

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
sheggs said:
michael hoy said:
stevebrock said:

Any help appreciated

Contact them, they are very helpful.

The sell Cara and I also know that Lucia is good for this project.

Both Cara and Lucia are specifically for use with acoustics also

+1 for Camira Cara - excellent stuff for acoustic panels (I made two myself, using 10cm rockwool).

I found that covering with a "transparent" lining material first (I used that cottony dustcover stuff from B&Q) , made it easier to work with the more expensive Camira fabric over the top (rather than directly on to the rockwool and wood frames).

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if its a rockwool product your after the rwa45 slab is the acoustic one, its itchy tho and i would use knauf acoustic partition roll instead. the rwa 45 comes in more thicknesses tho while the apr is only 25mm 50mm 75mm and 100mm. both should be available in a good builders merchants or anywhere like ccf as mentioned above.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys that's plenty of food for thought! 100mm is quite thick not sure the missus is gonna like that, but I need to get some panels to try and get my bass under control.

Where are the best places for the panels

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
for behind the speakers and sofa i'd be going 50mm, easy then to knock a frame up from 2 by 1. like you say tho finding a printed pannel the missus will like is going to be the biggie.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
100mm for walls. 150min corners. 50mm easier to handle and cut than 100mm. More easily available too.Most use a stout frame but my build is lighter using 6mm wooden panel & bolted corner brackwts. Wire used to brace the frame corner to corner.

Dependant on room but I found corner triangles worked the most magic.

A

Anonymous

What kind of acoustic material can besed to stop the noise which is coming because of the traffic.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried cylindrical traps? I can't really do superchunks in my living room due to doorways either side of an alcove and a knocked out fireplace in the middle :wall: and these seem like a good solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts