Disney Plus

Twpmeister

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
How the heck do you activate Atmos on this? All the streams that claim to be atmos are pcm 5.1. I have apple tv 4k configured to use atmos which works flawlessly with Netflix

Mrj6j

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
How the heck do you activate Atmos on this? All the streams that claim to be atmos are pcm 5.1. I have apple tv 4k configured to use atmos which works flawlessly with Netflix

You don't. Disney have restricted the quality of their product to barely HD with at best 5.1 sound. Even though they advertise as having the top quality, they don't. Yes they state it is due to the current demand for the internet but based on the response from UK internet firms, they can easily cope with the extra use so restrictions are not necessary. Having spoken to Disney a few times about it, they have suggested quality might go even lower. Stereo? DVD video? They need to clearly have a statement on their advertising about what you will receive now and for the foreseeable future. I bought it ages before the UK release date excited about the 4k and Atmos but only when downloaded did they release a minimal statement which is not prominent. Sorry, but you and all the other home cinema fans like myself will miss out for some time.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Well I just joined Disney+ UK this morning and using an Apple TV 4K box via a Sony STR-DN1080 I tested a few movies (a few Star Wars and Iron Man) and got excellent 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos audio.
After reading this thread I tried it again a few minutes ago and noticed it has indeed reverted to lowly 5.1 but still running in 4K.
Hearing the very first SW film in Atmos was a revelation, it was like hearing it again for the first time.
Even the original Iron Man movie shook the windows, so I think Disney + is worth the outlay.
It installed on two Apple TV boxes, an iPad and the Samsung TV flawlessly.

dananski

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite surprised at how bad Disney Plus has been having found out that they were already live for a long time before launching in the UK. The main thing I wanted was The Simpsons, but I've been getting too annoyed with the conversion to widescreen which squishes the image or crops it depending on the scene. There's also some kind of ghosting of details.

But there are some more general problems now I've given up on that and started watching other shows and films. Sound quality isn't bad but for some reason it's about half the volume of other programs. Image quality really can be terrible. The details are often lost in dark scenes and everything seems to have a lacklustre sheen of dullness to it. I know the stream bandwidth got lowered because of high internet usage during lockdown, but Netflix also did so and their shows still look really great (and I'm not even on 4K subscription).

And the video player UX is a bit awkward in that it loses focus when the episode starts, so keyboard controls don't work unless you click the screen, then click again because it paused on the first click. Not sure I could recommend Disney Plus unless they fix these issues.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm watching on an LG Oled (B6-55) and find the app infuriatingly buggy. Constant sound stuttering. The resolution goes grainy from time to time and then it hangs for an eternity and says something like "the app will restart now to free up memory". I've 4k amazon and 4k Netflix and never had a problem with either, but Disney+ is poor. To resolve the sound stuttering I need to log out of the app and re-log in and then it's fine for about a fortnight, and then it goes again. I don't know if it's the LG version of the app or my broadband (but it's right next to my google Home router and I get a constant 66mBps).

Tinman1952

I'm watching on an LG Oled (B6-55) and find the app infuriatingly buggy. Constant sound stuttering. The resolution goes grainy from time to time and then it hangs for an eternity and says something like "the app will restart now to free up memory". I've 4k amazon and 4k Netflix and never had a problem with either, but Disney+ is poor. To resolve the sound stuttering I need to log out of the app and re-log in and then it's fine for about a fortnight, and then it goes again. I don't know if it's the LG version of the app or my broadband (but it's right next to my google Home router and I get a constant 66mBps).
That's weird. I have a 55 LG B9 and only get 49 Mb on my internet and have absolutely no problem with Disney+ 4K Dolby Vision etc... Perhaps try deleting and reinstalling the app?

abacus

Make sure your TV and the App have the latest update; you can also try uninstalling the App and then re-installing as it may have got corrupted during an update.
Another point to note is that as apps are updated they become more processor intensive, which means older TVs no longer have the power to run them properly.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts