Din connection or Phono Connection

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Having just acquired my Naim 5i-2 CD player should I connect it to my Naim Nait, which hopefully will arrive tomorrow, with the Din plug or the phono plug or doesn't it make any difference ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
emptage said:
Having just acquired my Naim 5i-2 CD player should I connect it to my Naim Nait, which hopefully will arrive tomorrow, with the Din plug or the phono plug or doesn't it make any difference ?

I used the supplied Naim DIN cable when I had the same combination. It comes in the box with the CD player so why not use it? (It costs £125 to buy seperately so kick up a stink with the vendor if it's not supplied with yours.)

Make sure to follow the instructions and 'toggle' the input selection to the correct one...

'O' (DIN only) or 'oo' (RCA only) or 'O oo' (DIN + RCA)*.

*The default. Sounds better if you select the specific option for your choice of cable type.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

Apologies for the typo in the thread title, I wish I could edit it !!

It doesn't feel like a £125 cable, more like a £4.95 cable.

The selction of Din or Phono, is that done on the amp or CD player ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
emptage said:
Thanks for the reply Apologies for the typo in the thread title, I wish I could edit it !! It doesn't feel like a £125 cable, more like a £4.95 cable. The selction of Din or Phono, is that done on the amp or CD player ?

Follow the instructions that you will find in the box with your CD5i. (Or download from here.)

Or follow these instructions I have cut and pasted for you from Naim...

"19.4 Output Socket Selection.

With the player stopped, press and hold the remote handset disp function (handset in CD mode) or, if fitted, the player disp button until the CD player prog indicator flashes.

Further operations of the disp function will now cycle through each combination of the two socket types (DIN only, RCA Phono only or both). The selected option is indicated on the CD player display as shown below.

Socket Option Player Display...

DIN O
Phono oo
Both O oo

Press and hold the disp function a second time to exit from socket selection mode.

To avoid compromised sound quality, do not select both unless their simultaneous use is unavoidable."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I suggest you do the above after you have the units in place, connected, and powered on.

(For gawd's sake remove the transit screw from underneath the CD player - whilst it is horizontal on a flat surface* - and keep it safely somewhere you can find it again should you ever need to box the player up again.)

*Don't tilt the player for this.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for thi. I have now selected phono. I have already removed the transit screw but I did have to tilt the player to do it. Hope I didn't cause a problem Will I get better sound from phono or from din ?

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I have now selected phono. I have already removed the transit screw but I did have to tilt the player to do it. Hope I didn't cause a problem Will I get better sound from phono or from din ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
emptage said:
Thanks for thi. I have now selected phono. I have already removed the transit screw but I did have to tilt the player to do it.

I just slid the front of the player over the edge of the surface - keeping it horizontal - held the front with one hand and unscrewed the transit screw with the other, then slid the player back again.

emptage said:
Hope I didn't cause a problem

I don't know. I followed the instructions. I don't know what happens if you don't. You'll find out soon enough.

emptage said:
Will I get better sound from phono or from din ?

DIN. For sure. (In my opinion of course. YMMV)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts