drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Having just received my first royalty payment for my recently released best seller ... 'You can't spend enough on cables', I have now a dilemma.

I have long eyed-up Focal's Grand Utopia.

The possible problem is that the space is relatively small. It is about 2m x 2.5m but there is a good 3 meters in height.

Are they suitable for wall mounting?

Also, there needs to be enough space left for a turntable and there is a toilet in there too.

Anyone got experience with these and could I push the envelope by have surround sound with two pairs?

Many thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thank you.

I forgot to say that I was sponsored by several cable manufacturers and have tons of the stuff lying around.

Actives are therefore a no-no.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Thank you.

I forgot to say that I was sponsored by several cable manufacturers and have tons of the stuff lying around.

Actives are therefore a no-no.

Lots of people think that way until they come and listen. Only yesterday we had a customer who couldn't believe his ears (well, they did stick out a bit) and is now planning to sell his £100,000 system, house, two cars and yacht, none of which perform as well as our loudspeakers.

In fact he's also planning to divorce his wife and move the speakers into the bedroom, for the same reasons.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
My speakers (and the space needed behind and to the sides of them) take up around 2.5 square metres. They are described as 'compact'. Very few speakers - even small, sealed enclosure ones - will need less space to work. That is half the area of your room :-(

In a room that is 2m x 2.5m (as you describe) I would buy something like a headphone based system or high quality desktop speakers or even a mu-so by Naim. (Although it's posiible that the room is too small even for the mu-so!)

I can't quite see the Muso working as it would have to be on my knees whilst I sit on the toilet.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My speakers (and the space needed behind and to the sides of them) take up around 2.5 square metres. They are described as 'compact'. Very few speakers - even small, sealed enclosure ones - will need much less space to work. That is half the area of your room :-(

In a room that is 2m x 2.5m (as you describe) I would buy something like a headphone based system or high quality desktop speakers or even a mu-so by Naim. (Although it's posiible that the room is too small even for the mu-so!)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there a basement under your room? You could then mount a couple of 15" subs in the floor (infinite baffle!), which would sort part of the problem...

Add 4 of these for the front and surround duties.

Not sure on the centre speaker yet... How big is your screen? (I take it you use a projector)

If you want more than a 5.2 system, it might be tight though...

As for the cables, that's easy: thick platinum wire throughout! Or are the buckytube cables available yet?

Keep us posted!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DocG, that is very helpful advise regarding the in-floor subs.

I can see that helping my bowel movements but I'd worry that if I stand and miss I may damage the cones.

@Esra

Re. 11.1/Atomos, I think we have to be realistic here

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:

I can see that helping my bowel movements but I'd worry that if I stand and miss I may damage the cones.

Sit down for the number one and two, son! One day, you will have to; you might as well get used to it!

And one more thing: beware of piles when watching a movie on the toilet! That's a bad habit, IMO...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about the layout of the room. Is the toilet on the long or the short wall? And where is the hand-washing facility (assuming you have one)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm a bit confused about the layout of the room. Is the toilet on the long or the short wall? And where is the hand-washing facility (assuming you have one)?

The toilet (with soft closing seat) is facing the door, the long way.

I would consider removing the door if that helps

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
drummerman said:

Sit down for the number one and two, son! One day, you will have to; you might as well get used to it!

And one more thing: beware of piles when watching a movie on the toilet! That's a bad habit, IMO...

Thanking you very kindly.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So as i understood you are more in a stereo setup.Any ideas aboug cabeling.Some say Xlr might give better results.Maybe you can think about in wall installation too, so at least a 5.1 or 5.2 setup could be realised .From practical side i would use the toilet in the sweetspot providing a multifunctionel usage as space seems limited.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You have clearly thought about this deeply Esra.

Whilst there is nothing sweet when I sit on the toilet I think you have the right idea. Thank you.

Unfortunately I now have to go and spend a bit of money on charitable causes plus burn some statements.

Thanking you all.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You bet i did very deeply.Pls report back your findings.Maybe you could use the toilet as natural bass trap,here you could experiment with consistency and filling stand.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you thought about speakers designed for outdoor use? That way, if you have an 'accident', you can hose down the speakers without doing them any harm.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered using the room as the speaker enclosure and listening from the outside?

You can then vary the bass porting by opening or closing the door by various amounts?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just realize no one answered you main question: can one wall mount four Focal Grand Utopia speakers? I'm afraid the necessary knowledge is lacking here. Maybe have a look at the www.whatbuildingmaterials.com forum. The guys there can probably help you on what weight your walls can handle and how you can best attach the boxes.

Thumbs up!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
I just realize no one answered you main question: can one wall mount four Focal Grand Utopia speakers? I'm afraid the necessary knowledge is lacking here. Maybe have a look at the www.whatbuildingmaterials.com forum. The guys there can probably help you on what weight your walls can handle and how you can best attach the boxes.

Thumbs up!

I believe Bluetak will do the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts