SteveR750

On Saturday I "bought" a NAD C390DD in order to secure a weeks home demo, the deal being if I like it, then the retailer will send out a brand new one, and I return the loaned demo unit. Up until I had discovered the NAD (sometime Thursday evening last week) I had planned to upgrade my DAC, and have set off in motion organising a home demo with a local retailer to organise a Chord Qute, based upon a demo of the QBD76 a few months ago, with my Roksan. I discovered this evening a used QBD76 on the bay for a snatch under £2k, with all of about 18 hours left. B****r as they rarely appear for sale second hand.

I suppose I could go for it, and return the NAD anyway after a week for a full refund if I prefer the M2 + QBD, or just sell the QBD on and hopefully not lose anything; but it's a scary amount of cash to mess about with, and whilst trying to avoid paying any interest charges on a CC.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea what the used market is like for that DAC, but if you deem the price to be a great deal, I'd say buy it and just resell it if you don't like the Chord combo over the NAD. Normally I'm very skeptical of super high priced DACs since they all use the same off the shelf DAC chips anyway, but in the case of the Chord that's not true, so maybe it really is worth the elevated price tag.

On a different note, I'd love to hear your opinion on the NAD. My unsolicited advice on the NAD demo is, don't confuse the smooth delivery with lack of detail, it's there.

SteveR750

jaxwired said:
I have no idea what the used market is like for that DAC, but if you deem the price to be a great deal, I'd say buy it and just resell it if you don't like the Chord combo over the NAD. Normally I'm very skeptical of super high priced DACs since they all use the same off the shelf DAC chips anyway, but in the case of the Chord that's not true, so maybe it really is worth the elevated price tag.

On a different note, I'd love to hear your opinion on the NAD. My unsolicited advice on the NAD demo is, don't confuse the smooth delivery with lack of detail, it's there.

Common sense prevailed, I've left the chord for another day, if it's not sold and I don't like the NAD then maybe I could do a deal. I've demoed the Chord, beforehand I was sceptical that it would make much, if any difference, bearing in mind we were using a peachtree DAC as a reference which I didn't think was much better than my dacmagic, certainly not enough to make me even think of buying it. The Chord is really quite special.

Anyway, the NAD should arrive by Friday, and I'll have two weekends and a week in between to assess it. Smooth is good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Common sense prevailed, I've left the chord for another day, if it's not sold and I don't like the NAD then maybe I could do a deal. I've demoed the Chord, beforehand I was sceptical that it would make much, if any difference, bearing in mind we were using a peachtree DAC as a reference which I didn't think was much better than my dacmagic, certainly not enough to make me even think of buying it. The Chord is really quite special.

Anyway, the NAD should arrive by Friday, and I'll have two weekends and a week in between to assess it. Smooth is good.

I think you did the right thing - I kept my nose out of your decision, as I don't like the Chord and so would have been heavily biassed towards the Nad. Given your time scale, you needed to have a clear mind to weigh up your thoughts.

Like others, I look forward to how you find it.

Cno

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
I think you did the right thing - I kept my nose out of your decision, as I don't like the Chord and so would have been heavily biassed towards the Nad. Given your time scale, you needed to have a clear mind to weigh up your thoughts.

Like others, I look forward to how you find it.

Cno

Cno I value your opinion, so feel free to stick your nose, oar etc whenever you feel appropriate.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
From AE's gramophone review: "The NAD C 390DD has grabbed itself a place on my (extremely short) list of the very best amplifiers you can buy today. If you're in the market at this level, you simply must have a listen to what is as impressive a technical achievement as it is a sonic one."

For once I agree completely with AE!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts