Dilemma time

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Although this is my first post on this forum I have been a frequent visitor to the reviews section of the website over the last few years and also subscribed to the magazine on and off.

I am at the point now where I need to decide between evolution or revolution for my hi-fi. My system started out with a NAD 3130 amp, Dual CS505 deck and AR18BX speakers back in about '87/88. Since then (mainly in the early '90s) I added a Kenwood 6-CD autochanger, tuner and tape deck. More recently I have added a Cambridge Audio iPod dock and a Logitech Squeezebox that I use to stream music (either 320kbps mp3 or FLAC files) from a NAS. Earlier this year I replaced my speakers with MA Bronze BX2 as the foam around the cones of my AR's had perished.

I am now thinking about a change in the amp department as I sometimes lose a channel when changing positions on the NAD's input selector. My dilemma is whether to replace the amp with like-for-like such as the Marantz PM6004, buy a micro-system such as the Marantz MCR-603 or get an AV amp in preparation for eventually going fully multi-channel and hooking up to TV, Sky box etc (some of the Sony receivers are good value at the moment such as the STRDN1030 or STRDH820).

My budget is about £250 for just an amp rising to about £350 if I went for a micro-system or AV amp (I would only plan to use my stereo speakers for now and invest in 5.1 speakers later once I have convinced my wife that it's a good idea).

I have read various comments that the stereo performance of budget AV amps will not match that of a budget stereo amp but would value your opinions. I'll add that I am not very critical in my listening which is mainly classic rock that is played at a reasonable volume.

I look forward to reading your views on what I should do.

Kind regards

PB

jjbomber

First big decision is whether you are going for an AV or just a stereo amp. Obviously a budget AV amp won't match a budget stereo amp in stereo mode; it's a bit like saying a £7,000 car will not be as fast as a £7,000 motorbike. The car is designed to take 5.1 people and the motorbike just 2. The same with amps. If you are definately going to go for surround sound in the future, then you may as wel bite the bullet now, as it will be cheaper in the long run. You can always add a power amp in the future if you are not happy, but I think you will be.

AV amps in the budget area can still be Marantz, but also try to listen to Denon and Onkyo. If you want stereo, then the Marantz is as good as any.

Finally, classic rock at a reasonable level means turning it up to 11.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the MA BX2's connected to an Onkyo TX-NR609 av amp - mainly using the internet radio as the source (on direct audio mode). They sound very good but not as good as my Rega Brio amp, Apollo CDp & Mission 780 speakers. Both systems are together in the same room (the speakers share the same stands!).

Originally I was going to upgrade to floorstanders but I started tinkering with a Pioneer DVD player hooking it up to the TV and Brio amp. So I decided to concentrate on home cinema, and slowly (a year later) I now have the MA BX centre and BXFX surround speakers (just saving for the sub) and a Sony BDP S480.

The point is that if you want to get into home cinema but cannot afford to get it all immediately (like me), and are prepared to be patient, the eventual rewards are fantastic! Watching films - either blue ray, dvd or streaming is so much more enjoyable. HD TV is also great, Doctor Who on Christmas Day, Jools Holland last night - all recorded in THX mode are brilliant.

I also started out in 86/87, and now that both my children are away in university, we now have the time to enjoy watching films/tv together - my wife is not really a music listener, but she has started to appreciate our home cinema kit.

I did spend a long time though deciding on what kit to get, but I'm really enjoying it now. Hope my experience helps...

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not wishing to be picky. Tho I may be seen to be just that. I dont think you can 'record' in THX mode. I guess you have yr tv to display in his mode. Designed as a film standard and not necessarily the best for all broadcasts, I too leave my tv on this mode since I can't be bothered to change it for different sources. Damned picky I'd say! :oops:

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Picky is fine Robin, sorry I meant DTS - the Onkyo shows the mode as DTS when broadcasting certain programmes on BBC HD - which produces a full surround sound experience (to my ears anyway).

TRENDING THREADS