Dilemma re. getting the best sound for music AND TV AV surround sound!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I recently bought a Denon AV-2310 amp for surround sound, having read rave reviews about it. I've connected it up to my TV (Plasma 42-inch Panasonic TH-42PX70BA), Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T floorstanding speakers (i.e. front left and right channels), Tannoy Revolution R1 rear surround speakers, Tannoy Revolution Centre Speaker and REL Q150E Mk. 2 sub-woofer.

I've actually got the DC6T front L & R speakers connected to my 2-channel/stereo amp (Marantz PM-66SE KI Signature) and from there in turn through the pre-amp connections on the AV amp which allows me to use the DC6T speakers as part of the surround sound TV system and also for music using a CD player connected to the Marantz amp.

I'm wondering though if I'm getting the best - or worst! - of both worlds here. As is, i have to turn the Marantz amp volume up very high to get the front left and right speakers to a decent volume level for TV surround sound and I'm concerned this may damage the amp. I can though get the benefits of hearing music from my CD player via the Marantz 2-channel amp - my understanding being that this will give better stereo CD music sound than just connecting the front L and R speakers directly to the AV amp.

Is this the best solution for music (my main focus) AND TV surround sound - or would I be better off simply getting rid of the Marantz amp and connecting the front L and R speakers directly to the AV amp?

The other (expensive) route would of course be to use both amps in completely separate systems for music and TV, in which case I'd need to buy an additional set of front speakers (also cluttering up the room - which wouldn't go down great with my girlfriend!)

Can you help me out of my dilemma?!

Ian

A

Anonymous

Simple solution, get a girlfriend that won't mind additional speakers (probably not the answer you where looking for).

I will post a more suitable suggestion at some point I promise, but I could not resist!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You should really get the best possible sound with the combination you have at the moment. My experience - and that of others on this forum - suggests that adding a stereo amp for music will make a big difference.

I am a bit puzzled that your stereo amp has to be turned up so far. It suggests that something isn't quite right. You can check the process in detail in plenty of places, but have you set the amp at about half-way and run the auto set-up? I see no reason why it would need turning up more.

To play music, just run your CD player/etc through the stereo amp and leave the AV amp out of the equation.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - I hadn't yet considered the girlfriend 'trade-in' option. Think that will have to be my last resort!

A

Anonymous

No - I haven't tried that yet but will give it a go.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I did also speak to the Denon help line and they said the Marantz amp would need to be set pretty high - so around 1/4 past the hour compared to a clock face - when hooked up to the Denon as part of an AV surround system. Trouble is it starts to buzz intermittently at these levels - plus there is also the risk that someone will stick a CD in the CD player and try to play that without adjusting the volume level downwards (1/4 to the hour is fairly loud for the amp with music).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts