Dilemma between Audiolab M-DAC & Arcam irDAC

Hello Guys,

I recently bought pair of Genelec 8010 monitors with a Genelec F One SUB.

I want to buy a good DAC for my speakers.

As per my research, M-DAC & irDAC are good options which are available in India.

Could you guys help me out which DAC will be a compliment for my Speakers.

Please let me know, if i missed any other options with this price range.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The MDAC has features such as a headphone amp. Do you need that? You certainly don't need the preamp capability, so you may be paying for features you don't need.

Cant you audition them first?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would have thought that the pre-amp functions on the M-Dac are exactly what you need with the Genelecs, why would you think otherwise?

Gives you a few input options, full remote control and balanced outputs straight to the monitors, a shoo in surely? Unless it is a stupid price that is.

ID. said:
The MDAC has features such as a headphone amp. Do you need that? You certainly don't need the preamp capability, so you may be paying for features you don't need.

Cant you audition them first?

I don't need the Headphone Out. I will never use that , i know that for sure :)

Both irDAC & M-Dac has remote control with volume control and Source select.

Also Genelec sub has a IR remote with volume control & Mute.

My only concern is that which DAC will sound more musical with my Genelecs :)

Thanks in advance.

davedotco said:
I would have thought that the pre-amp functions on the M-Dac are exactly what you need with the Genelecs, why would you think otherwise?

Gives you a few input options, full remote control and balanced outputs straight to the monitors, a shoo in surely? Unless it is a stupid price that is.

I can't use balanced out from M-Dac. And both M-DAC & irDAC has remote with volume control.

Genelec F One sub has RCA input also it has an IR Remote with volume control and Mute function.

My monitors are connected from SUB thru RCA to XLR cable.

I wonder which Dac will sound more musical with my Genelecs ?

Thanks in advance.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

if you are going to be using the dac with apple products then i would definately recommend the irdac. It has a dedicated input for iphone/ipad/ipod and you can also use the remote to change tracks.

Built and SQ is also great. It cetarnaily punches well above it s weight.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
If you can get past it's less than ideal form factor the Chord Mojo is hands down the best dac I've ever heard or owned. I've owned both the irdac and the mdac, both good but not as good as the mojo in a full system. By the way the irdac is set line level out, volume can't be adjusted. The supplied remote is generic and the volume controls are for Arcam amps, not the irdac.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

as mentioned, the sub works as a preamp in these Genelec sub and sat setups. I didn't buy the sub so use other kit as a pre.

The volume control on the Arcam isn't a proper preamp, I think it just works the volume control function of the playback software on the computer when connected by USB, although you can switch sources.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
davedotco said:

as mentioned, the sub works as a preamp in these Genelec sub and sat setups. I didn't buy the sub so use other kit as a pre.

The volume control on the Arcam isn't a proper preamp, I think it just works the volume control function of the playback software on the computer when connected by USB, although you can switch sources.

I gathered that after doing some checking. Presumeably part of Genelec's 'hi-fi' range, which I am not familiar with. Looks interesting though, makes for a tidy, very functional system with a pair of 8020s or similar.

Though small and low powered by modern standards, it is a unit I would like to try, I have no interest in movie/home cinema and do not listen to 'modern' music with overdone bass, so a clean, modest extension to 35-40Hz would be fine for me.

ChrisIRL said:
If you can get past it's less than ideal form factor the Chord Mojo is hands down the best dac I've ever heard or owned. I've owned both the irdac and the mdac, both good but not as good as the mojo in a full system. By the way the irdac is set line level out, volume can't be adjusted. The supplied remote is generic and the volume controls are for Arcam amps, not the irdac.

Did you use headphone or full 2.1 setup ?

What's the big difference you felt between M-DAC and Chord Mojo ?

And which speakers did you connect ?

ChrisIRL said:

Thanks to you buddy,

now i bought my Mojo. Thanks a lot.

If you hadn't posted reply in my post, i would have end up buying M-DAC.

Thanks again. Cheers :)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome. Hope you actually like it. Shouldn't be long before Chord release the add ons for it, will be interesting to see what they come up with. Enjoy!

ChrisIRL said:
You're welcome. Hope you actually like it. Shouldn't be long before Chord release the add ons for it, will be interesting to see what they come up with. Enjoy!

Yes i just watched the interview with John Franks @ Bangkok.

1st module will be Apple Cable, then Bluetooth Addon, then SD Player and last Wifi Module :)

To be frank, i nev imagined i will use any Hifi Headphone in my life, now because of Mojo i am going to buy an Audiophile Headphone.

I am confused between Sennheiser HD650 and Audeze El-8 .. i want open back. You have any suggestion ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts