Digital vs Analogue cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance... but could someone please explain to me the difference between a coaxial digital cable for audio, and an analogue interconnect?

As far as I can see, these two are marketed as very separate products, but looking at the terminators they appear to be identical?

I'm looking to connect a moderately aged Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD recorder to my Cambridge Audio 640A amp (approx 2-3 metres apart) and am confused as to which way to go. I don't need an ultra expensive cable, but would appreciate any guidance on any low-budget cable better than freebie leads (ideally £5-10/m if that exists!)

Lastly; connecting the DVD player to a flatscreen; the DVD outputs Scart or Component. With the advent of DVI (which my television can accept) am I better buying a decent Scart as more hardware can use them, as I fear component has a limited shelf life and the cable may only see a year or two's use?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You don't have a digital/analogue choice - the Cambridge amp only has stereo analogue inputs, and no digital inputs, so you'll need analogue connections from the recorder to the amp. Unfortunately with a cable run that long you'll need to spend appreciably more than £5-10 to get worthwhile gains over the freebie leads provided, as I am sure forum member 'oldphrt' will agree.

As you're unlikely to have 2-3m freebie leads provided with the recorder, you can buy a 3m stereo pair of connectors from retailers such as Maplin for around £6.

As far as the video connections are concerned, I'd go component for the best picture quality.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Andrew.

I'm still interested to know whether there is a difference between digital and analogue cables though, even if I'm bound to an analogue signal!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, a single analogue interconnect could be used as an electrical digital interconnect - it's work, and they mostly use a standard phono plug on each end (although some digital equipment does use locking BNC plugs).

But a real electrical digital interconnect needs a 75ohm impedance - so in theory standard aerial cable would do, terminated at each end with a phono plug.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts