digital optical output on panasonic plasma!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi,...i have a panasonic TX-P42G20B which has audio outputs for rca stereo and an optical digital output labled digital audio.
in the book it mentions dolby 5.1 etc....my question is however...

can i get stereo from the optical digital output or is it only for 5.1?

i wanted to connect the tv through an audiolab 8000 dac-hi-fi,not bothered about 5.1 as i'm not into surround sound,i just wanted to get stereo from the tv through the dac if possible but i'm not entirely sure if this would somehow damage the dac etc,being as the dac is not a surround sound type.

many thanks for reading
smiley-smile.gif

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Under Menu->Sound there should be an SPDIF setting line. Change it to PCM to only ever get 2-ch digital stereo via the opt-out regardless of what's on. Should be covered in the manual under something like "How to use menu functions".

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have had problems with this via my CA 740c DAC. It works fine with stereo but for hd content it won't work. The menu on my v10 does not have the option to change to PCM which it says should come up from the instructions.I have never worked out how to get itto work so I use RCA to my amp instead.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Might be trickier on the V10. According to p59 of the manual you may have to change "Multi Audio" in the OPTION Menu to Stereo first, possibly while there's a HD Channel (i.e., one with a DD soundtrack) playing.

The Sound menu on the V10 then has two pages, "SPDIF selection" is on the second page, you have to scroll/page down to get to it (see manual p27).

The SPDIF option is always there on the V20.

TRENDING THREADS