DIGITAL MUSIC SOLUTIONS

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I've been reading a lot on the forums about how people have endevoured to play MP3/AAC/Lossless/WAV files through their Hi-Fi systems. I'm interested in how many people have taken this step & how. Please state your digital music setup here, with a few comments if you like. I'll kick it off with mine & 2 friends:

Me: Sony HD-NW5 (20GB) - Cambridge Java cable - Cambridge 840a, 192k ATRAC3plus files (used to be 256k but ran out of HDD!)

Friend 1: 30GB I-Pod, Onkyo dock, Sony STR1200 AV receiver, 128k AAC files

Friend 2: PC, 2x Squeezeboxes, amp(s). FLAC files

post away!

John Duncan

System 1: Airport Express/Gotham Cable/Primare A20/PMC DB1
System2: iMac/Denon Mini/Wharfedale Diamonds

In both cases, mostly 128 (d'oh) with 320 and ALAC thrown in (am reripping to ALAC a few at a time).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Various digital solutions but main library is on a Power Mac G5 running iTunes (like JD, mostly 128kbs previous to knowing anything about all this MP3 malarkey but new ones being added at 320kbs and older ones gradually being updated). I then access this library through Mini Mac / Airport Express or PS3 depending on how my mood takes me which are both in turn hooked up to my Onkyo 905 and B&W 685s.
I'm on the lookout for a decent iPod dock which will allow me to hook up my iTouch and play video as well as music through as well but haven't found one to my liking as yet (meaning Mac wouldn't have to be on in the bedroom). I'm aware I could transfer my music library to a NAS to get round this but can't be bothered as I usually listen to CDs in the main room.

John Duncan

professorhat:Various digital solutions but main library is on a Power Mac G5 running iTunes (like JD, mostly 128kbs previous to knowing anything about all this MP3 malarkey but new ones being added at 320kbs and older ones gradually being updated). I then access this library through Mini Mac / Airport Express or PS3 depending on how my mood takes me which are both in turn hooked up to my Onkyo 905 and B&W 685s.
I'm on the lookout for a decent iPod dock which will allow me to hook up my iTouch and play video as well as music through as well but haven't found one to my liking as yet (meaning Mac wouldn't have to be on in the bedroom). I'm aware I could transfer my music library to a NAS to get round this but can't be bothered as I usually listen to CDs in the main room.

(apple tv........)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't really need video from the Mac as all my videos are on a NAS in PS3 format. To be fair, I don't really need video from the iPod either at home, but figure if I'm going to get a dock, I might as well get one with the feature built in as it could then be taken to places where video and iPod would be useful.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed - sorry this is getting a bit blown out of proportion as "haven't found one to my liking" could also translate as "haven't really looked properly"! I would like one that also displays the cover art on the TV when listening to music as well, but I gather none of them do that. That is just a nice to have though!

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
NEC PC (Winamp)/NAD C320BEE/Monitor Audio Bronze B2Cheap Fisual phono interconnect & Ixos 6006 Gamma Geometry Speaker CablePredominately mp3 of various bit rates with a few flac, aac, wma & ogg vorbis files.2 very broken 20 & 30gb mp3 players - Iriver (in bits) and a Philips - broken on a camping holiday in last years lovely summer. Still haven't got round to getting a new portable player.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
iTunes on WinXP (all Apple Lossless), optical digital connection to Beresford DAC, into Naim 102/180 amps, to MA RS6s.

It sounds fantastic - really really fantastic. The PC/Beresford combo sounds miles better than my Arcam alpha 6 CD. And that's with the Beresford only 2 days old - apparantly they take a week or two to "run in" (please don't anybody flame this - I'm keeping an open mind and will report back in due course).

There is also the benefit that all of my iTunes catalog is replicated onto a iPod Classic 160 for the car and personal use.

John Duncan

professorhat:Indeed - sorry this is getting a bit blown out of proportion as "haven't found one to my liking" could also translate as "haven't really looked properly"! I would like one that also displays the cover art on the TV when listening to music as well, but I gather none of them do that. That is just a nice to have though!

Apple TV does
emotion-5.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Main system...
FLAC + VHQ MP3 on PC -> Squeezebox duet -> Harmony DA9 DAC -> Lyngdorf SDAI 2715 Amp -> Dali Ikon 6

Headphone system
Winamp playing mainly FLAC + VHQ MP3 on PC -> Trends UD-10 Audio converter -> Beresford Dac -> Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

Oh, assorted cables that do the job.

John Duncan

professorhat:You're obsessed, man!!

Nah. I might be if I had a high-def telly but haven't so haven't got one. And actually, Front Row on a Mac looks marginally better (and can handle VIDEO_TS folders). But it's just so cute and lovely and cuddly....

OK, I see your point.......

TRENDING THREADS