Difficult choice, please help.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I have a chance of buying a pair of kef ls50 speakers, 1,5 years old, as new. The price is 450 pounds.

I have also just auditioned the new system audio mantra 5 speaker, it sounded really good. But the price is 800 pounds.

My amp is Nad d7050. All kinds of advice is welcomed, what would you guys do?

I can afford the system audio speakers, but offcourse it would be nice to save money..

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

If you preferred the Mantra 5's to the Kefs then forget about saving the money. You will never be satisfied if you buy speakers that you know you could have bettered, and will most probably end up selling them to upgrade.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:

If you preferred the Mantra 5's to the Kefs then forget about saving the money. You will never be satisfied if you buy speakers that you know you could have bettered, and will most probably end up selling them to upgrade.

I actually havent heard the kefs, but the guy at the store, which also sells kef, said that the mantra 5, was the competitor to ls50, and that they sounded about the same. The reason why i did not audition the ls50, was because they were sold out. Your advice makes sense, but i cant help but thinkin about that with the kefs im saving almost 50%

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Gazzip said:

I actually havent heard the kefs, but the guy at the store, which also sells kef, said that the mantra 5, was the competitor to ls50, and that they sounded about the same. The reason why i did not audition the ls50, was because they were sold out. Your advice makes sense, but i cant help but thinkin about that with the kefs im saving almost 50%

I see your dilemma. I haven't heard the Kefs either but I have read a lot about them on the forums. They seem to divide opinion a little.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Chr78 said:
Gazzip said:

I see your dilemma. I haven't heard the Kefs either but I have read a lot about them on the forums. They seem to divide opinion a little.

Yes, it is a bit of a dilemma. I could take the kefs and just sell them if i do not like them. But hmmm, they get really good reviews almost all over..

rainsoothe

Chr78 said:
Gazzip said:
Chr78 said:
Gazzip said:

Yes, it is a bit of a dilemma. I could take the kefs and just sell them if i do not like them. But hmmm, they get really good reviews almost all over..

seems legit - you should be able to recover your investment 100% so, unless it's a scam, go for the KEFs.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Whatever you do take your amp to the dealer and try the speakers with your amp first.

Ive only heard kef ls50s but i know they require a very good powerful amp to shine.

When i first listened to them the sound was totaly different to how i was expecting.

Completely different speakers. What exactly do you want a standmount or a tall narrow floorstander?

Much, I guess, is going to depend a lot on the size of your listening room. Also by the time you factor in a good pair of speaker stands to suit the LS50's you are looking at a total outlay of roughly the same price for either speaker (unless you actually already own speaker stands that is).

I take it you can't audition either of these?

If you can't then wait until you can or you scould find yourself lumbered with something quite unsuitable.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:

Completely different speakers. What exactly do you want a standmount or a tall narrow floorstander?

Much, I guess, is going to depend a lot on the size of your listening room. Also by the time you factor in a good pair of speaker stands to suit the LS50's you are looking at a total outlay of roughly the same price for either speaker (unless you actually already own speaker stands that is).

If you can't then wait until you can or you scould find yourself lumbered with something quite unsuitable.

I did audition the sa mantra and they were great, the ls50 i have not heard. But it seems they are great also with my nad d7050 amp. And the ls50 cost me 450 pound and the sa mantras cost 800 pounds, still dont know what to do.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. IMO.The LS50s are great value at £800, let alone a bit over half that...but saying that, none of us can pick speakers for you.

Chr78 said:
Al ears said:

I did audition the sa mantra and they were great, the ls50 i have not heard. But it seems they are great also with my nad d7050 amp. And the ls50 cost me 450 pound and the sa mantras cost 800 pounds, still dont know what to do.

Then I would say if the mantras sound great and really suit your room then buy them. Buying the LS 50's on spec might leave you sorely disappointed. You could however do this if you don't mind losing a little money band sell them on if not suitable as they are a very popular speaker.

TRENDING THREADS