Different Amps.... Different Sounds....???

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi fellas,I'm in the market for a new Stereo Amplifier....!!!

Guys.... i'll admit this. i Have zero knowledge about Stereo Amps.

Could someone kindly breifly explain to me how stereo amps from different companys like Nad, Marantz, Rotel, Arcam, Roksan Candy, Cyrus, Denon differenciate from each other in ways of....

1. Sound Character

2. Neutral,

3. Bright,

4. Imaging,

5. Dynamics,

6. Tone

7. Timing

8. Signature

9. Rhythm

10. Drive & Dynamics

11. Etc

I mean in what ways is the sound of one brand of Stereo Amp different from another ??

Thanks.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Well i can only speak for my amp which is a NAD, its a little bit tricky because speakers and sources CDP's turntables etc have there own charactarisitics about them too which contribute to the charactaristics of the final sound, but from using two different sets of speakers with it and 2 CDP's i would say mine is very dynamic, close to neutral, just a touch bright, has great timing (all of the above should have pretty good timing), produces a large and accurate soundstage with great imaging (if you have a good accoustic environment), tonally i would say its fairly even but has a tad too much bass. However obviously too get the best out of the amp the speakers and source have too be good enough too. Hope this helps
emotion-1.gif

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, i've heard the NAD 326BEE and NAD 3020 but not enough too tell you how they compare. My mum has a Marantz PM7200 and compared too the NAD i would say its not as Dynamic probably also a touch bright but fairly neutral and probably more tonaly even than my NAD but its hard too say as her source and speakers arent as good as mine hers is connected up too B&W DM-602s2 and a Marantz CD-67 CDP my speakers are more neutral and her B&W's are a little bright theres too many variables for me to say accurately.

A

Anonymous

Read the reviews on this site to get an idea...

... then go to a good shop and book a demo!

Speakers make more difference than an amp to the sound so make sure you are listening to speakers like yours.

Source also has a bigger impact so make sure you take your source.

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
guys thanks for you views....

So what do you all suggest...???

1.Buy Speakers First then demo them with different Amps & choose one....????

or.

2.Buy Amps first and then demo it with different Speakers & choose one...???

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts