Differences between Arcam 192 and 73 CD player?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I do realise the 192 is the better player of the two, i currently own the 73 but have a chance of a 192, what im asking is for those who know? whats the difference in sound between the two? I mainly listen to rock music especially the chili peppers so would the chilis benefit more from such a player? And at what price would you say is reasonable for a 2nd hand 192? Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Do it Jase.

When I went from my 72T to my 192 it was more of an improvement than when I changed amp from A65+ to A85.

More detailed, more pacey, not lean, but it removes the slight pedestrian dullness of the 72T. Not sure how much better the 73 is than the 72T, but would think that the improvements would be similar.

I paid £320 including delivery in May '09.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Chris, i thought id seen a previous post sometime ago that you had upgraded to the 192.
Well im at least going to give it a demo, the owner of my local HIFI store will even give me trade on my 73 and from what ive read in the past there wasnt a great deal between the 72 and 73.

So does rock music benefit more from the 192 Chris? As your into rock arn't you?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Rock shmock. I'm into Metal!
emotion-5.gif

R.H.C.P should sound great.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jase fox,

I found the difference between the cd 73 and the CD192 a revelation. Listening to dance music, everything sounded better. Like the difference between the clarity between fm and dab (not taking into account all the other bits that fm is better at). Buying the cd192 started me on the rocky road of upgrading.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

PS, I sold mine on ebay (buy it now) about 6 months ago for £420. Took 2 days to sell. I replaced it with a dac, to futureproof. I do miss the bass clarity and texture.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
My HIFI dealer told me that he would do me the 192 for £200 which inc trade on my 73, so far so good.
Anyway i brought home the 192 for demo (as like to try 2nd hand goods first) got it all rigged up, i put a CD in it and "it wouldnt load" it says "loading" then after a few seconds "no disc!"
I tried several discs but none would load, so you can understand my frustrations?
So i took the player back and they said they would see about getting it repaired, so now im just waiting. Shame really as it was in immaculate condition with not a mark on it.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
thats a shame jase as arcam players are reliable dont be put off try again they are great player with the best display around and they sound great my cd73 is a good faithfull player and i cant see a beter replacemnet other than a new arcam

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
robg1976:thats a shame jase as arcam players are reliable dont be put off try again they are great player with the best display around and they sound great my cd73 is a good faithfull player and i cant see a beter replacemnet other than a new arcamYes, it is a shame robg1976, but im not going to give up as my local hifi store have top guys working there so theyll see to it.

Fingers crossed

A

Anonymous

Hi Jase,

That is a steal at £200.00. I got mine a while back as end of line new stock for £500.00. Bearing in mind this was a £900.00 player with great reviews.

I absolutely love it, it was really my first step from budget kit to the next level up. For me, it really majors on clarity, instrument separation and integration (oxymoronic I know), and has a really sweet midrange, which is great for vocal and acoustic stuff. I can't remember your musical tastes from previous threads, but the likes of Loudon Wainwright III, Kate Rusby and Ella Fitzgerald all sound amazing. Don't think it can't kick out a good bit of old fashioned noise though, The Clash and The Undertones are no stranger to mine.

I will risk putting my neck on the line by saying I don't think a better player exists for £200.00

Hope they get it up and running for you, and hope you get as much pleasure from it as I've got from mine.

Best wishes,

Shuggie

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thought i'd just re-open this thread, i'm getting the Arcam 192 today they finally got it back from being repaired and they tell me it's now working fine.

I must say im fairly excited about using this player as i've heard so many great reviews about it, so i know what i'll be doing most of today !

The other half is going to her sisters later and as she puts it she's "leaving me to play with my new toy! Thankyou love, have a nice day (as i shut the door behind her) ha

I'll report my findings accordingly.

A

Anonymous

jase fox said:
Thought i'd just re-open this thread, i'm getting the Arcam 192 today they finally got it back from being repaired and they tell me it's now working fine.

I must say im fairly excited about using this player as i've heard so many great reviews about it, so i know what i'll be doing most of today !

The other half is going to her sisters later and as she puts it she's "leaving me to play with my new toy! Thankyou love, have a nice day (as i shut the door behind her) ha

I'll report my findings accordingly.

How did you get on with the new 192 Jase? I'm thinking of upgrading my 73T to a 192 also (if I can locate one that is!) Did you find it punchier and with more 'attack' than the 73? The CD73's a great sounding player but I find it just a little laid-back, even with the RA-1520 amp.

A

Anonymous

Wow thread revival
smiley-tongue-out.gif
haha

The Arcam CD192 is a superb player; that's why I went for one in my main system over the CD72 (which is currently in my 2nd system but soon to be replaced). The CD72 is superb IMO but the CD192 just opens up that superbness more with more attack and punch and with greater timing

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
Wow thread revival
smiley-tongue-out.gif
haha

The Arcam CD192 is a superb player; that's why I went for one in my main system over the CD72 (which is currently in my 2nd system but soon to be replaced). The CD72 is superb IMO but the CD192 just opens up that superbness more with more attack and punch and with greater timing

Cheers! The hard part will be finding one that's in good nick but I'm determined to succeed.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS