Difference Dali Mentor Menuet - Dali Zensor 1

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody ever compared the Dali Mentor Menuet with the Dali Zensor 1? I would like to know if the sonic signature of both speakers is similar.

A

Anonymous

While I haven't heard the Zensor 1, I have heard the Menuets and the Lektor 2, arguably the Zensor's predecessor. Being both Dali standmounts, their sonic signatures are indeed comparable. Going by memory, I'd say that the Lektors had a slightly more promiment presence in the bass frequencies, but that may have been because of the room, not the speaker.

Why do you want to compare them? These speakers are not aimed at the same audience, neither in usage nor price.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
tremon said:
Why do you want to compare them? These speakers are not aimed at the same audience, neither in usage nor price.

I like to try new equipment from time to time and was curious about the Zensor 1. ;)

I owned a pair of Dali Mentor Menuet about a year ago and was wondering if the much cheaper Zensor 1 has a similar sound as the Menuet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This is a generalisation but usually speakers within separate ranges are often made to sound good with the equipment they are likely to be used with. So in your case the cheap Zensor's will probably be tuned to counteract the possible treble excess and/or distortion (less likely these days) of similar priced amplifiers/sources by way of earlier treble roll-off. This is also benefitial because the high frequency units used are cheaper and can be less refined. They will probably generate more volume with low powered amps and have slightly higher sensitivity. A common trend these days is to voice budget speakers with pronounced mid-range, a plateau around those frequencies and an upper bass hump to give the impression of bass. They will perhaps trail behind when it comes to how revealing they are and may also have less lower bass comparetively, sometimes a trade-off for the higher sensitivity and to help out the cheaper amplifiers normally used with such speakers to control low frequencies. Apart from that there is usually more substantial build quality and more expensive components as you go up through the range.

As said, a generalisation and it doesnt mean you may not like the cheaper speaker better. Try.

regards

TRENDING THREADS