Difference between Directional & Non Directional Speaker cable?

A

Anonymous

Most would say none. I aint saying anything for fear of my life.
emotion-14.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Funny the question should be asked - I just bought two sets of biwire speaker cable from eBay (Van den Hul The Teatrack Hybrid and also some QED Silver Anniversary XT), neither of which show clear direction. Is there a correct direction for these, or are they actually bi-directional?

Also...is there a definite hook-up sequence for the 4 cable strands? Beyond the obvious +ve and -ve, of course! :eek:)

A

Anonymous

I think id be right in saying that the cables supposed to be connected with the lettering on the wire going from amp to speaker does that make sense?...how much differnce it makes, now thats a whole new tin of worms probably best left unopened

A

Anonymous

The sewage man:
What is the difference between Directional & Non Directional Speaker cable?

Does it make much difference to the sound coming out of the speakers?

Directional will sound awful.

A

Anonymous

I was once told that it is more to do with the shielding around the cable................. I not all that convinced that a cale can be directional?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Heh, heh, the worms are already wriggling! ;o)

I just found this on the Chord Company website (referring to their Rumour product):

Rumour is very difficult to directionalise during blind testing. We recommend that the cable is fitted so that the print on the cable runs from the amplifier towards the speakers, but should this not happen, it is best to leave the cable as installed. The direction that Rumour is installed in when new has very little effect on sound quality. However, with cables that show very few directional characteristics, this can change as a current is passed through them. Once Rumour has been installed in the system, whether in the correct direction or not, changing the direction will be detrimental to the sound of the system. There is not really a good explanation for this but as a statement, it could be said that "Cables that are not particularly directional from new will become so when used, and cables that are very directional will not sound right if installed in the wrong direction".

Interesting. Makes you wonder about buying your cables second-hand, eh? :eek:)

idc

Russ Andrews provided (and may stiil do so) handy little arrows on the kimber speaker cables to show the direction. But there was no explanation and nothing on the cables that made it obvious how they came to the conclusion that one direction is better than another.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
ALL metals have a 'grain' (Much like wood). This will probably effect the electrical properties to some very small degree (Probably immeasureable). Wether or not these will be audible is another matter entirely but id say you need a VERY expensive system before it starts to make a difference

A

Anonymous

The reason I ask is because in What HI FI , directional and none directional speaker cable both get 5 stars or less a piece in the reviews.

I have got QED revelation, they are none directional. Chord company signature (£115 a metre) are non directional. Atlas Marvo (£2290 for 5 meters) are none directional. Yet the other 20 cables reviewed are directional?? I am more confused than ever!!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:ALL metals have a 'grain' (Much like wood).

Interesting. Does anybody have a link to any papers to prove this molecular 'grain' exists?

To avoid being flamed I'll state that I'm ignorant on this, I only did chemistry to 'O' level and physics to 'A' level. I'm not suggesting Erik is incorrect, I'd just like to know more.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that copper cable was molecularly symmetrical, but can't find anything to back this up. If that were the case I'd find directionality arguments hard to swallow.

'Grain' might explain directionality and if grain changes with use may explain cable run in. I've always had difficulty with the concept that cables need running in.

Richard Dunn (from Nene Valley Audio, not the boxer) makes similar points to above about cables getting drectional with use. I've never heard any differences but that's not to imply they don't exist.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that link. So heating when current flow seems to cause atoms to jump. It's all become clearer now. I'm not sure my ears are up to hearing the difference. Too many years working in clubs with crappy DJ's I'm afraid.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I am being thick but aren't signals to the speakers AC ?

If it really is AC then surely the 'directionality' is only correct 50 percent of the time.

I have no idea what direction any of my cables are supposed to go in, and they get put back in whatever direction I happen to be holding the cable after cleaning and reassembling the hifi (after hoovering or whatever).

A

Anonymous

Burning in of your cables effects the directionality of them.

The flow becomes better, of course some think it is all twaddle.

Capacitors, and to a lesser extent Resistors/DAC's also settle down and improve after anything from 50 to 200 hours of use.

These effects have been widely reported, and I concur myself from hearing the effects on my own equipment over the years.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't anyone ever get self conscious doing this sort of thing?

Would I be the only one here who has a vision of generations of great hifi electronics designers laughing their socks off at people fretting about cable direction?

Are the roadies and studio technicians - who wire up concerts and studios to produce the music we strive to reproduce so purely - at all bothered about this?

If every single cable in the studio/venue to every single instrument/mike/desk/computer/recorder etc. etc. had been installed without a thought for 'directionality' of the grain of the copper, would you be able to tell ? (Because I suspect that is the truth.)

idc

chebby:

Doesn't anyone ever get self conscious doing this sort of thing?

Would I be the only one here who has a vision of generations of great hifi electronics designers laughing their socks off at people fretting about cable direction?

Are the roadies and studio technicians - who wire up concerts and studios to produce the music we strive to reproduce so purely - at all bothered about this?

If every single cable in the studio/venue to every single instrument/mike/desk/computer/recorder etc. etc. had been installed without a thought for 'directionality' of the grain of the copper, would you be able to tell ? (Because I suspect that is the truth.)

Friends who don't bother about their hifi (but they still enjoy their music) think I am mad, but in a nice, slightly eccentric sort of way. The difference of directionality has to be about the smallest audiophile tweek there is. I have never seen anyone recommend trying the cables the other way around as a suggestion to remove a problem such as 'my system sounds too bright'.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:Burning in of your cables effects the directionality of them. The flow becomes better, of course some think it is all twaddle. Capacitors, and to a lesser extent Resistors/DAC's also settle down and improve after anything from 50 to 200 hours of use. These effects have been widely reported, and I concur myself from hearing the effects on my own equipment over the years.

Ive also experienced the very same effects
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

If the cables are supposed to be directional, then how come there are no arrows or markings on them. Secondly why isn't their any clear information in layman terms supplied with most manufacturers literature on their directional and none directional cables?

A

Anonymous

EDIT: removed post - didn't realize it had been posted already (Chord's take on directionality on Rumour)

A

Anonymous

It's alternating current. The electrons flow one way, then the other in the wire. This causes the speaker cones to move in and out, generating pressure (sound) waves.

Current flows equally in both directions. Directionality is marketing flim-flam. Luckily for the cable companies, most audiophiles (and indeed reviewers) seem to know absolutely nothing about basic electronics.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Burning in of your cables effects the directionality of them.

The flow becomes better, of course some think it is all twaddle.

Yep. It's twaddle.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if my cables don't state otherwise i always wire from souce to amp in direction of the writing on the outer sheef or from amp to speakers again in direction of writing - however if i were to unplug them i always make sure i put them back in the same way around - i think usgae does make a difference not sure on science behind it - i also think when turning system on from cold first album always sounds flat.

A

Anonymous

Which part of alternating current is it that audiophiles can't seem to understand? Or do people just do it because they've been told to?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts