Did any of your stuff get a WHFS&V award this year?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My Tacima mains conditioner block, Arcam Mini-Solo, Chord Carnival SS speaker cable, and Samsung 26" telly all got awards.

(My old Grado SR60 headphones - now my daughter's - also got one.)

My Ortofon 2M Red deserves one, but WHFS&V don't do awards for cartridges. Bah.

[Edit] I should add the the only item I ever bought on the strength of reviews was the Tacima mains conditioner block. I got the Chord Carnival SS cable because it was the cheapest good cable my dealer had in at the time. I did not see a review of the Arcam until a couple of months after I bought it and we got the 26" telly 'cos it looked good (and 32" was too big).

This post is just a bit of fun. I know that buying a whole system just on the strength of awards would (almost always) be folly.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
No!

None of my get any awards. Although my cd player was highly recomended by Mr. E back in 2003
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, my Pure Evoke Flow won Radio Product of the Year as largely expected. I was quite surprised to see my Denon AVR-1909 not get a look-in though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I really want one of those Pure Evoke Flow radios. I handled one in John Lewis yesterday.

I am this || close to buying one today but am nervous about set-up. Some wireless devices take hours/days of agonising over to introduce to a home wireless network. (We have 3 computers including an iMac and an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station. I have a feeling it might be hard work.)

A

Anonymous

I didn't have any problems with mine in this regard (my router is a Netgear DG834v4). It was simply a matter of registering the radio on the 'Lounge' website, then logging in to the newly created account on the radio. It immediately detected my wireless network and didn't cause a fuss when asked for the security password. It's also remarkably quick at getting a connection from standby; the time it takes from turning the radio on to listening to an internet station can be as little as 7 or 8 seconds. The connection is also very stable - on my 10mb ADSL2+ connection the radio stream never pauses or stutters.

A

Anonymous

My Plinius 9200 amp. I auditioned this carefully after reading the WHF review, and selected it over several similiarly priced contenders. Bought the matching CD player second hand on the strength of the WHF review alone - but it was at a great price.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AgentCool - I'm also thinking about one of these - have you ever streamed music from your own music collection wirelessly to the Evoke? If so, how does this work with the software? See my post here to see where I'm coming from.
In answer to the original post, my 685s picked up the stereo speakers award again. This is nice, but I'm not surprised as I thought the speakers were awesome when I auditioned them compared to the other equipment I tried out.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:AgentCool - I'm also thinking about one of these - have you ever streamed music from your own music collection wirelessly to the Evoke? If so, how does this work with the software? See my post here to see where I'm coming from.
In answer to the original post, my 685s picked up the stereo speakers award again. This is nice, but I'm not surprised as I thought the speakers were awesome when I auditioned them compared to the other equipment I tried out.

I have just bought the Pure Evoke Flow (sheer impulse buy) from my local Audio T this afternoon. I had to. Once I had seen it in the awards issue I think I was sold on the idea. I registered my details and the radio serial number etc. and connecting to my network (WPA2) was a doddle once I realised there are upper and lower case alphabets for the password. (Duh!)

Yes, I suppose I can get internet radio on any computer in the house, but not in the bathroom or the kitchen (I ain't taking no £800 laptop + speakers into those places!). This is such a great concept. Portable DAB/FM/Internet/Clock radio and I can stream music from any of the 3 computers in the house. (I will report back on that bit when I have cracked it.)

It works fine in the most distant part of the house from the Apple Extreme 802.11n base station (about 45 feet away and 3 walls) and I will get the rechargeable power pack on Monday (Audio T did not have it) for bathroom duties.

Listening to 1.fm 50s & 60s (USA English) right now. Cool. Wife wants it for all that 'Listen again' Archers omnibus edition nonsense! "Pah, you will have fight me for it woman!"

OK back on topic. It IS a WHFS&V award winner and it sounds great considering it only has a 3" speaker. I have it at ear level (sitting at my desk) on top of an adjacent bookshelf about 6 inches from a wall for a nice bit of bass boost.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Well, my B&W MT-30 won again, and the PV1 retained it's 'product of the year' status again.

A lot of my stuff has been award winners in the past (875, Silver Anniversary XT, R.A Classik Powerkord with W320, etc......)

matthewpiano

My system did rather better in the HFC awards I'm afraid. My amp, CD, and turntable all got awards of some description there, but none of them got a mention in the WHFS&V awards. Just goes to show how many excellent components there are out there and what a personal thing hi-fi is.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
chebby:I really want one of those Pure Evoke Flow radios. I handled one in John Lewis yesterday.

I am this || close to buying one today but am nervous about set-up. Some wireless devices take hours/days of agonising over to introduce to a home wireless network. (We have 3 computers including an iMac and an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station. I have a feeling it might be hard work.)

Well if it helps put your mind at rest Chebby, I've recently set up an Evoke Flow at home and it was a piece of cake. The biggest problem I had was remembering the password for my wi-fi network!

Pure gives you a good 'quick start' guide with the Flow, and if you get stuck there's plenty of online help on their portal www.thelounge.com.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:Well if it helps put your mind at rest Chebby, I've recently set up an Evoke Flow at home and it was a piece of cake. The biggest problem I had was remembering the password for my wi-fi network!
Pure gives you a good 'quick start' guide with the Flow, and if you get stuck there's plenty of online help on their portal www.thelounge.com.

Andy I bought one after I wrote that (on Saturday afternoon from Audio T) it is fantastic.

Really fun!

I had no problem with the WPA2 password once I realised there were upper and lower case alphabets selectable with pressing "more...."

I only hope that Pure keep the 'Lounge' website well maintained and up-to-date. Assuming the Evoke Flow remains popular and they extend the idea to more models then that should be so.

I must admit that is the only potential 'bugaboo' in future (ie being dependent on a website in order to access all the internet stations.)

My only gripe so far (well the wife's gripe actually) is that the 'listen again' service took a day to update the weekly 'Archers Omnibus' from the 12/10/2008 programme to the 19/10/2008 version. The actual BBC 'listen again' version flipped over 45 minutes after broadcast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts