DF or FF?

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
I am planning to get a sub and have read that a downward firing unit does not work as well as a front firing sub with a suspended timber floor, which I have in my living room. My preference was for a DF model (BK XLS200DF) but if it isn't going to be as effective I will go for the FF version. Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd love to help Dave, but this falls outside of my sphere of knowledge (Which in all honesty is about the size of a squash ball) :)

Of course, you could always go for twin sideways firing, a la PV1.
:)

A

Anonymous

Don't know. I've heard that downfiring subwoofers may be easier to place in a room as opposed to the front firing ones which have more 'directionality' even though they're supposed to be largely non-directional anyway ! Also the downward firing ones may have more reinforcement from the floor whearas the front firing ones may sound more natural. I'm sure there's more too it than that and somone here must have a more technical explanation.........Anyone........?

A

Anonymous

Having bought a downward firing sub a few years ago I'd be very tempted to try a forward firing one now. Mine seems to boom a bit more than I'd like. I can see why a bottom-firer would be easier to set up but a front-firer could be pulled out into the room to balance the sound a bit. I think my point is that a front-firer may be more flexible when it comes to room tuning. All of the decent subs I've seen seem to be side-firers too...

A

Anonymous

Sorry dave.. was at work.

I would say don't buy df with your floor, the whole floor area around the sub will resonate and you'll get that boom iggle is talking about. You should go ff, problem is now you've got a wee tighter bass, but room positioning nightmares....

You could go the thirdroute, place the df on a large (maybe 4x4ft min) piece of --doubled up-- thick thick pile carpet, that should defeat the vibrations enough to keep your floor from becoming a part of the speaker system... either way subs are a huge pain in the hindquarters vicinity.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies chaps.
I had thought about the possibility of placing a DF unit on something to stop the boom effect. Or I could go for the BK XLS300 PR which has a driver on the bottom and front - although had really fancied a BK Monolth in DF configuration (the FF version is simply too big and brutal looking IMHO)
Decisions decisions.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts