Desperately Seeking Advice Regarding Suitable Cartridge For Audio Technica AT1120

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinyljac

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I have an old Dunlop Systemdek Turntable with Audio Technica AT1120 Tonearm, dating from the late 1970's. It has been repaired but presently has a cheap AT basic cartridge fitted.

I have a NAD 3130 Amp & B&W DM 601 S2 Speakers.

Could I pleased be advised of best cartridge so that I can play my vinyl to the highest standards?

Many Thanks

James :quest:

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I have an AT1120 fitted to my TD160S and I replaced the old Glanz cartridge a couple of years ago with a Goldring 1042 - sounds great! I got mine for a bit of a bargain price (I think it was £100) but in my opinion it's worth the £200 you'll expect to pay.

Jonathanhalder3

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
I have a Toshiba SR-355 with the original tonearm, and I have the AT1120 in its box. I was thinking of replacing the original tonearm with the AT1120 but not sure if it‘s possible. The opening under the tonearm base leading to the circuitry inside the turntable is too small to fit the tonearm base of the AT1120. I imagine you guys added the AT1120 to your turntables and it did not come
pre-fitted. Did y‘all face a similar issue and if so is it advisable to make the opening wider to fit the AT1120? Thanks in advance for your advice :) !

I have a Toshiba SR-355 with the original tonearm, and I have the AT1120 in its box. I was thinking of replacing the original tonearm with the AT1120 but not sure if it‘s possible. The opening under the tonearm base leading to the circuitry inside the turntable is too small to fit the tonearm base of the AT1120. I imagine you guys added the AT1120 to your turntables and it did not come
pre-fitted. Did y‘all face a similar issue and if so is it advisable to make the opening wider to fit the AT1120? Thanks in advance for your advice :) !
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest a new thread, because unlike those who wrote 9 years ago you aren’t seeking a cartridge. However, I took a quick look at your rare 1975 turntable. Unlike the Thorens and Systemdek mentioned above, yours does not look designed to swap arms, unless you’re aware otherwise. Therefore it might be better to leave well alone if it’s working ok.

Reactions: Al ears

Jonathanhalder3

Jan 4, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest a new thread, because unlike those who wrote 9 years ago you aren’t seeking a cartridge. However, I took a quick look at your rare 1975 turntable. Unlike the Thorens and Systemdek mentioned above, yours does not look designed to swap arms, unless you’re aware otherwise. Therefore it might be better to leave well alone if it’s working ok.
I will start a new thread. Found this one among the uncommon occurrences of the mentioning of the AT1120. Ya it did not look like it would be a good idea to swap arms. Just confused as to why my dad picked it up then, as he did not have another turntable. Thanks for finding out for me!

Reactions: Al ears
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts