Denon DHT500SD (using it as an amp for a blu ray player and Sky+ HD)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on connections. I currently have a Denon DHT500SD 5.1 home cinema DVD system which has always served me well. However, I've recently ordered a Sony KDL40Z4500 LCD TV and a BDPS550 blu ray player. At present my budget does not stretch to a new AV receiver and speakers (I'd rather wait and save up for a good system). For the time being I hope to use the DHT500SD as a makeshift amp. I understand that I can connect the BDPS550 to the DHT500SS via a digital optical cable (or coaxial cable - what is best?), but there is only one optical cable input on the DHT500SD (also component and digital coaxial). What's the best way of connecting SKY+HD? Is it via the TV through the HDMI connection and then out DHT500SD using component cable or, alternatively, directly from the SK+HD box to the DHT500SD using either component or digital coaxial? Just trying to establish a connection if this is possible. Any advice to a novice would be most welcome!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd connect Sky direct to the TV using HDMI and to the Denon using an optical cable.

A switchbox such as this will save optical cable switching between your BD player and the Sky box.

l34ak.jpg

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If the BD player has a coaxial digital out and the Denon the same connection as an 'in', then you could use that to connect the BD to the Denon and as Andrew said for the SKYHD. No need to buy a switchbox as yet although if you buy any more equipment that you want to connect then a switchbox would be required.

Best to connect both SKYHD & BD direct to TV via HDMI for the video.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi,

If the BD player has a coaxial digital out and the Denon the same connection as an 'in', then you could use that to connect the BD to the Denon and as Andrew said for the SKYHD.

Ah yes, of course. Yes electrical digital from BD to Denon, optical digital from Sky to Denon, HDMIs from both sources direct to the TV. Thanks, Cof...

A

Anonymous

Great. Thanks for the advice Andrew and Cof....helpful to a novice like me. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts