Denon Dab 38 with BA A26 or Dab 39 with MA BX2s or zone 2 wiring Denon 3310

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I started off looking at ipod dock, but now i'm looking at a micro hifi.. i have come across a second hand dab 38 with Boston Acoustics a26 or for more money i could go for the dab 39 with Dali Zensor 1 or even more money go for the Monitor Audios BX2's

Is there much of a difference between the 38 and the newer denon 39? i want to be able to run an ipod touch and iphone 4s, listen to radio and thats about it, i dont think the cd player will be used all that much.. i was thinking i could achieve somethign simillar by running the zone 2 setup from my denon 3310? i am only using 5.1 speakers with the 3310, so if i've read correctly i can pump audio to another zone using the unused connections on the receiver?

i could use an app on the phone to control the denon so it might be workable.. what would the sound be like though?

For convience im tempted to go for a micro hifi.. i just dont want to spend a lot so the secondhand option is appealing.. i'd also like smaller speakers than the bx2s but i've been told that ideally i'd need their size or it wouldnt really be worthwhile

The other reason for going the micro road, is that eventually i might remove my turntable frmo the av amp move it to the other room and be able to listen to records while others are using the tv etc..

Any advice appreciated

Cheers,
Mick

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Mick

Generally I'd say spend more of the budget on the speakers, so if this means going with the cheaper 38 to afford them so be it. Although if you can afford it I'd go for the 39 as well; its digital input will give you more options in the future, like connecting a computer directly to it.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i'll see how if i can negotiate a better price on the 38, if there's only 60/70 pounds in the difference between it and the 39 with bx2s may go for a new one

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i can get the dab 38 with boston acoustic a26s for about 225 pounds, or go new and get the dab39 for 399 with bx2s... but i'd much prefer save the money! i have a feeling i wont be loosing out much in performance by going for the dab 38.. and its only 4 months old with receipt etc.. so cant really go wrong?

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, finally done the deal last night, bought the Dab 38 with the BA A26s

Everything was in mint condition, the only downside was the guy lived in a small appartment and smoked so the speakers smelled a little, but hopefully that will dissapate over time. They sounded pretty good, listened to DAB, FM and some cds and was pretty happy with the results. In an ideal world i'd have liked BX2s but these seem like a decent alternative and for about 225 pounds and with it only being 5 months old, i think i did ok.

I wont be setting up till christmas as its a present for my wife, so might be back on then for some setup advice, I know in the review of the a26s its suggested that place them about 20 cm from the wall is advised but I'll be placing the them in a corner on a unit and there wont be that much place between them and the wall.

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks really loving the denon. Listening to a lot of music via I devices sounds pretty decent and it's great with the few cds we have. One question though is it possible to listen to Internet radio via tune in app on the Ipod via the denon? Cheers mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Answer = yes it does work... The denon is turning into a great all round solution for us.. Dab, fm, Internet radio via Ipod and mp3 plus great sounding cd player. Have to say delighted with the Boston acoustic performance. Lovely looking speaker also.

TRENDING THREADS