Denon D-M37DAB

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if this stereo would be ok to use for extra speakers for a tv when watching films?

I know that the best thing would be to get a proper surround sound system but I don't have room for all the speakers unfortunately and would like something that was primarily a stereo but could double up as a better set of speakers for the tv (with the speakers on my lcd being quite bad when it comes to bass).

Should I buy different speakers as well to partner with it as I know many people opt for Tannoy speakers instead of the Denon ones?

Also is there a particular cable you should use to connect it to the tv as currently I use just the red and black wires plugged into a sony stereo?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Connecting your TV to a stereo hi-fi is a good way of boosting the sound without having to go for a full surround system. In fact, one member of the team here swears he prefers a good stereo set-up for film viewing to surround sound!

The Denon is a great little system - there's nothing wrong with the standard speakers, but if you wanted to add a pair of Tannoys I'd go for the Mercury F1 Custom.

As for a suitable cable, I'd suggest something like the QED Audio 1 (£25).

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
If your tv has rca phono out & your denon has rca phono in, i think it has IIRC, then just use the rca phono conectors (red & white) to connect it up & it should work fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply

I have no particular personal preference as to speakers but was just going by what a lot of other people seem to have done. I only know what I have read on here, i.e. that both the Denon stereo and the Tannoy speakers are v good for the price but as to whether the Tannoy speakers are any better than the standard Denon ones I am clueless.

To be honest I am going from a very old Sony micro hi-fi so I guess that anything would probably be an improvement on that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the help.

One other question, and this might be really stupid but if I were to order the Denon DM37 with the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers as a package from an online retailer, will they come with everything required to wire the speakers to the stereo?

I will buy the cable suggested to connect the tv to the stereo as well but wondered if this was the only additional thing I would need?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
not a stupid question at all. Stand-alone speakers (generally) don't come with speaker cable included. You'll need to measure the amount you need (don't be parsimonious with the cable - better a bit too much that too little!), and make sure the left and right cable runs are the same length.

Some retailers will give you cheapish cable for free if you're buying a system.

Richer Sounds do a Gale cable at 99p a metre, which is okay, but Anniversary XT is a good upgrade (about £3 a metre, I think).

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I would wholeheartedly endorse your system as that's what I use! Run mine through my DVD recorder so get the best of both, TV and DVD's.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well if you don't mind industrial guage cable that's thick enough to feed an electric sub-station try Chord Carnival SilverScreen. £6 per metre on the high street and well worth it.

A

Anonymous

Who knew that buying a stereo could be so complicated...

Seriously though, thanks again.

I have one final question to ask (I hope).

Is the following everything that I will need:

- Denon DM37DAB

- Tannoy Mercury F1 Speakers

- QED Performance Audio 1 Interconnect (1 Metre + no additional connectors?)

- QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable (4 metres - 2 for each speaker, Single Wire 2 Core)

- QED Airloc Professional-Fit 4mm Banana Plug (x8?)

In other words, will the above be everything that I need to take it out of the packaging and get it up and running?

Can you tell I have only ever bought a Sony stereo which has everything included in the box before... ;o)

ÿ

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Others may disagree but Airloc I think would a overkill. Nearly £40 for 8 plugs when you can get 8 standard ones for less than a fiver on ebay, or try Maplins, and they do exactly the same job. You can also get a QED Qunex 1 interconnect for £10 from Superfi, which as far as I'm concerned is just the same as the Performance. Enjoy, and I promise you won't be disappointed!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
opinion is a bit divided, but I tend not to bother with banana plugs. Yes it makes it much less complicated, but with a stereo set up, you are only making 4 connections behind the Denon and two at the back of each speaker. If you can remember to clamp in the cable with the red bit to the clamp with the red knob without any stray strands of cable touching the other side/the back of the unit, you've saved yourself a few quid...

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I use bare wire too but the binding posts on the back of the Denon are EXTREMELY fiddly, plus the screw down is only plastic which doesn't really help. Prefer spades myself but unfortunately some idiot put a plastic collar at the base of the binding posts! However, assuming you're not going to be moving everything around it really isn't a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts