Denon Ceol Piccolo Sound Issue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought the Ceol Piccolo and paired it up wirth my existing Mordaunt Short 902i speakers thinking I would be blown away by the sound. The reason for this (apart from them both being good performers in their own right) is I bought the speakers orginally to upgrade the sound on an old Technics micro system I had from the early 90's. I was really impressed by how the 902's brought my old system to life, with extra clarity and surprisingly good bass. I connected the 902's to my Ceol and was immediately disappointed, the bass has gone, and the treble is very bright with hardly any midrange. I have checked how the speaker cable is wired on numerous occasions and tried changing the settings on the Ceol with no joy. I know that some speakers work better in certain system configurations but could these two 5 star What Hifi performers be so apart? Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the poor sound?Thanks

The obvious cause of "no bass" when rewiring speakers is them being out of phase. But you say youVe rechecked your wiring.

Of course top rating are not the same as compatibility, but it should not be this 'off'. Does the ceol sound ok on headphones?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hi Technix, welcome to the forums.

Well it sounds like the Denon doesn't have enough power to properly drive the MS's, I used to own the speakers and they do require an amplifier with some muscle behind it. Maybe you can return the Denon and look at the second hand market to buy something meatier, like the marantz pm 6003 or even 5003 (I owned the 5003s previously and they certainly drove the MS's well enough.

Hope this helps,

Shafin

Wardy

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I know this is an old topic but I had exactly the same issue as the original poster and I solved it. Hope it works for somebody.

Solution: The 902i's need to be bi-wire bridged. Either with the bridge plates provided with the speakers or, as I did, bi-wire with your speaker cable. I used audio innovations silver loudspeaker cable from Richer Sounds and the whole set-up sounds fantastic. The Piccolo has no problem powering the speakers and after a day of playing, the unit and the speakers are bedding in very nicely indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts