Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I will be buying a 5.1 surround system in the next month.

I am pretty much set on RX6 AV12[/b] in gloss black.

My room is 13x13 feet with wooden floors.

Which is the best AVR to partner the RX6 AV12?

I am looking at latest models so:

Denon AVR-4520

Yamaha RX-A3020

Pioneer SC-LX86

I do not like too much bass and I like clarity (speech and small sounds if that makes sense).

Use will be:

HTPC - Blu-ray using TMT5 - 50%

Dreambox 800HD SE (1080i) - 40%

PS3 - 10%

I do not listen to music that much, so blu-ray movies and football matches are the most important to me.

Another thing... I won't be able to demo, as where I live we do not have that possibility... so I have to buy according to reviews and what you guys suggest!

Which would be the best to power the speakers?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

abriffa said:
Hi,

I will be buying a 5.1 surround system in the next month.

I am pretty much set on RX6 AV12[/b] in gloss black.

My room is 13x13 feet with wooden floors.

Which is the best AVR to partner the RX6 AV12?

I am looking at latest models so:

Denon AVR-4520

Yamaha RX-A3020

Pioneer SC-LX86

I do not like too much bass and I like clarity (speech and small sounds if that makes sense).

Use will be:

HTPC - Blu-ray using TMT5 - 50%

Dreambox 800HD SE (1080i) - 40%

PS3 - 10%

I do not listen to music that much, so blu-ray movies and football matches are the most important to me.

Another thing... I won't be able to demo, as where I live we do not have that possibility... so I have to buy according to reviews and what you guys suggest!

Which would be the best to power the speakers?

Cheers

I do know the Pioneer gets recommended with that package. What is HTPC Blu - ray using TMT5 mean? In full please.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

gel said:
I do know the Pioneer gets recommended with that package. What is HTPC Blu - ray using TMT5 mean? In full please.
smiley-smile.gif

It means I don't have a blu-ray player... I stream from NAS to HTPC and I play the blu-rays using Total Media Theater 5... works like a blu-ray player basically without the need for a physical disk

D

Deleted member 2457

abriffa said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

It means I don't have a blu-ray player... I stream from NAS to HTPC and I play the blu-rays using Total Media Theater 5... works like a blu-ray player basically without the need for a physical disk

Wow! 8)

A

Anonymous

gel said:

Lol!

So you think the Pioneer is a good choice? Cause I was going for it originally, but I read that the Yamaha and Denon are very good as well... and unfortunately since I cannot demo I have to rely on reviews and personal experience from users who have same kind or similar combinations

D

Deleted member 2457

abriffa said:
gel said:

Lol!

So you think the Pioneer is a good choice? Cause I was going for it originally, but I read that the Yamaha and Denon are very good as well... and unfortunately since I cannot demo I have to rely on reviews and personal experience from users who have same kind or similar combinations

Well, it has been paired with the Pioneer in WHF ultimate guides mag and in their system builders feature, but I would probably wait and see what other responses you get too. If it was me I would go Pioneer.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to find Denon 4520 and Pioneer LX86 in my country (Malta)... did not manage to find Yamaha (would have to import it from UK).

Pioneer - EUR 2150 (£1728)

Denon - EUR 2599 (£2088)

For that price difference I am more inclined towards the Pioneer

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I got a quote for a Yamaha 3020 this morning...

Pioneer LX86 - EUR 2150 ( £1728 )

Yamaha A3020 - EUR 1899 ( £1522 )

Denon 4520 - EUR 2599 ( £2088 )

For the price I can say that the Denon is out I don't think it's worth it since these 3 are similar!

But now I am more confused... which should I get the Yamaha or the Pioneer for my RX6 package?

I'm really lost since this is my first sound system and I cannot demo, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

michael hoy

abriffa said:
Hi,

I got a quote for a Yamaha 3020 this morning...

Pioneer LX86 - EUR 2150 ( £1728 )

Yamaha A3020 - EUR 1899 ( £1522 )

Denon 4520 - EUR 2599 ( £2088 )

For the price I can say that the Denon is out I don't think it's worth it since these 3 are similar!

But now I am more confused... which should I get the Yamaha or the Pioneer for my RX6 package?

I'm really lost since this is my first sound system and I cannot demo, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

In that case the Pioneer IMHO would be the better buy, have you agreed a discount on the Pioneer, the retail in the UK is £2199 and the Denon £2299.

A

Anonymous

No, no discount, those are the retail prices here in Malta! Also, they are from 3 different shops which are the agents of the brands!

Even the RX6 AV12 I am getting cheaper... £2500 (incl shipping) Black Gloss... in the UK it is £2800 the black gloss finish + I would have to pay for shipping... I was surprised with the prices cause this is about the only thing we have cheaper in Malta... everything else is generally more expensive than UK!

Regarding my original query...

Why did you suggest the Pioneer? You think it will sound better than the Yamaha?

Thanks

michael hoy

abriffa said:
No, no discount, those are the retail prices here in Malta! Also, they are from 3 different shops which are the agents of the brands!

Even the RX6 AV12 I am getting cheaper... £2500 (incl shipping) Black Gloss... in the UK it is £2800 the black gloss finish + I would have to pay for shipping... I was surprised with the prices cause this is about the only thing we have cheaper in Malta... everything else is generally more expensive than UK!

Why did you suggest the Pioneer? You think it will sound better than the Yamaha?

Thanks

Having the MA Apex speakers and what I have read about the RX6, the Pioneer should match very well.

The Yamaha may sound a little warmer (laid back), the Pioneer has a very clear and forward sound. The Pioneer is not bright sounding as some will say, it is just very clear and very good at what it does.

Set the Pioneer up correctly and it will reward you every time you listen to it.

D

Deleted member 2457

abriffa said:

Thanks

With regard to UK pricing on the Monitor Audio package you can very easily negotiate £500 of the full price at Sevenoaks shops I have found.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Abriffa - looks like you are going to have to make your decision based on the sound character you 'believe' you prefer, given you cannot audition any of your preferred choices. Basically, all of the models you have chosen are great. When theses are battling in the reviews vey little separates them beyond preference around tonal characteristics. So unless you can plan a holiday to somewhere where you can also audition the models - you'll have to take a small gamble. Good luck

A

Anonymous

I know it's a bit of a gamble Julien, but I hope I can live with my choice (tbh I won't have anything to compare it too so hopefully I like the sound)

@bigboss, so you think the Pioneer will match my speakers well?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

Certainly does sound an impressive review! All the new ones seem to sound the same to me.
smiley-smile.gif
But then I am listening to them in the same speaker package, so that could have something to do with it. My 70 did sound bright with my Dad's B&W XT speakers but now he has my 81 you can comfortably crank up the volume. I think all the new ones do have a level of control with the THX ultra 2 built in.

michael hoy said:
bigboss said:
michael hoy said:
The Pioneer is not bright sounding as some will say

I haven't heard the receiver, but the reviewers think otherwise (check "Against" in the summary box). In any case, Pioneer is known to match well with OP's speaker package, so this is irrelevant.

I have heard the 86 with a set of run in Apex, the sound was not bright compared to my 85.

There are 3 possibilities here:

1) Pioneer receivers match the tonality of Apex speakers well.

2) You prefer slightly brighter & forward sounding receiver.

3) It may not be as bright as it's made out to be.

:)

Basically, some of Monitor Audio speakers (like Radius HD) are so bright that a warm receiver is needed to balance out. It's entirely possible that Pioneer receiver may not be bright, or only a little bright but enough to accentuate the brightness of the speakers. There are some exceptions, even in the Monitor Audio range. I have heard good things from happy owners of Pioneer & Apex / RX6 combination.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
. I have heard good things from happy owners of Pioneer & Apex / RX6 combination.

Goes with me too. I am delighted with my pio/rx6av12 combo. Great for all situations. Music and films. I never think its bright.

Great choice with the gloss black too

D

Deleted member 2457

john1000000boy said:
bigboss said:
. I have heard good things from happy owners of Pioneer & Apex / RX6 combination.

Goes with me too. I am delighted with my pio/rx6av12 combo. Great for all situations. Music and films. I never think its bright.

Great choice with the gloss black too

Good one Johnboy.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Denon has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32

Pioneer has MCACC

These do room corrections, correct?

If, so which is better? (And can anyone explain a bit more on how they work?)

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts