Denon AV3313

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Please can any one advise on how to set up my Denon to listen to music through a pair of B & W CM8 and a old made up sub. I mainly listen to Spotify, all types of music, like it loud. The sound seems to be flat missing some thing, lots of top end not a lot of middle and not rich at all. When playing blue ray sounds brilliant really good. Music is poor.

I have tried it by the book. Am i missing some thing?

Denon AV3313

Denon B.Ray 3312

B & W CM8 front and center

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Have tried "Pure Direct", have tried small, large speakers, tried Audyssey set up, i think poss that is confusing the sound is the fact that i run a sub which i have to because if i play the system for long and loud periods the speakers cut out. Not sure were to put the cross over point. Speaker cables?

Poss reset the amp to factory, really loosing the will to listen......................... :rofl:

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Please i am getting worried, :cry: the dealer i bought it from, which i consider reputable, set it up. Speakers cut out after about 1 month after running them in befor Christmas, the dealer came over saw the amount of movment of the actual speakers said he was sure that was the reason for the cut out hence the sub now working with the speakers. I belive him as he bought another amp over as well and was willing to swap it any way. I have limited the volume to 80% of max. much to the annoyance of my wife. lol

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Did you not accept the new amp? No way should the speaker cones be moving 'that much'. Either the speakers or amp are faulty. As BB says - get your dealer back involved asap.

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The cones were flying at full blast........... So any way checked the conections all ok. Turned down the crossover on the sub to 80. It does sound better. So I must thank you guys for your help. Any other thoughts please let me know.

With Thanks

Martin

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Deafened only this morning at -15db. Still cant see the cones moving. They vibrate to touch but no way visible. Should I be worried I ask myself? Any higher and my intestines would wobble.

Martin100

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Hope you are still with us and you have not blown yourself apart............So any way cranked it up a tad this morning and still no thumping drums or crashing symbols on Queens Bohemiem Rhapsody Freddies voice and piano crystal clear. Plenty of volume but i want it clear. Guitar solos are played through a blanket. Very strange. I know my hearing has changed over the years aged 54 now but surly i know when things arnt right !!!!!!!!!!

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want good 2 channel then you might need to invest in a good 2 channel amplifier to power your speakers as trying to get great HiFi out of an AVR is not going to happen unless you are looking at the higher end models.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The OP mentions he's using an "old made up sub".

Does this sub have a direct mode or not?

If not then turn the sub volume to halfway and the crossover up to max , low filter + standby off when you do the calibration.

When playing music you want to select Pure Direct (turns the display and video circuitry off).

earthian

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
hello:

i require some help.

I play the drums while listening to music streaming from speakers connected to my denon 3313 and through airplay from my ipod. the problem is that simultaneously i would also like the music to be heard through a apir of wireless headphones. could someone tell me how i could go about it?

thanks

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
recruit said:
If you want good 2 channel then you might need to invest in a good 2 channel amplifier to power your speakers as trying to get great HiFi out of an AVR is not going to happen unless you are looking at the higher end models.

This time last year I would have agreed with you: stereo in / stereo out right? I was very much in the 'pure direct' / no tone camp. I purchased a mid-range receiver & speakers (see signature) for surround with the intention of purchasing a Naim Unitilite or similar for stereo duties.

However the AVR was so good at stereo I ditched the Unitilite plan. It did take some patient tweaking to get it right though & coming from the 'pure direct' camp, I found some of the best results to be counter-intuitive. AV receivers are extremely complex pieces of kit and there's far more to get wrong with them than a typical stereo amp.

For stereo sources I find the best results using the 'Extended Stereo' setting, then altering the balance in favour of the front speakers. This setting is not Dolby ProLogic which sounds muddy and generally pants to my ears. In my system the Extended Stereo setting sounds really awesome, so if the our OP friend's ears are being so badly insulted, particularly when his system sounds excellent playing blurays, then there's a serious fault with the set-up somewhere.

Not getting the settings right, just like speaker placement &'toe-in, can make an excellent system sound terrible, but it's certainly possible to get decent stereo sound from an AVR.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts