Denon 2808 & Sky HD

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks to your advice I am now the proud owner of a fantastic sounding Denon 2808.  My question is about the HDMI picture and upscaling.

My projector is 720p but the Sky HD output is 720p or 1080i depending on what they are broadcasting.  The problem is that the Denon cannot convert 720p to 1080i or back.  So if Sky broadcast at 1080i what is the best option?

At present the projector downscales to 720p from the 1080i signal.  How do I make the Denon do the conversion to 720p instead (as I suspect the Denon will do a much better job).

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Xanderzdad:
Hi all

Thanks to your advice I am now the proud owner of a fantastic sounding Denon 2808. ÿMy question is about the HDMI picture and upscaling.

My projector is 720p but the Sky HD output is 720p or 1080i depending on what they are broadcasting. ÿThe problem is that the Denon cannot convert 720p to 1080i or back. ÿSo if Sky broadcast at 1080i what is the best option?

At present the projector downscales to 720p from the 1080i signal. ÿHow do I make the Denon do the conversion to 720p instead (as I suspect the Denon will do a much better job).

ÿAny advice would be appreciated. ÿThanks.

In the Sky settings, set the resolution to Auto and the Denon should pick what's best.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I am obviously doing something wrong as the signal is not being converted to 720p - it arrives at the projector in whatever resolution it left the Sky box which means often I am seeing a very small 576p picture, not an upconverted 720p image.

Any ideas as to my error as I have tried going through the menus.

Thanksÿ

A

Anonymous

On my 3808 you can tell each input whether to upscale or not under source select, other, video convert and also set the HDMI i/p scaler to A to A & H to H.

And if you want the denon to upscale to 720p rather than Sky then I'd say set the HD sky box to output 576 NOT to auto.

R

A

Anonymous

That makes no sense. You want the sky box to output in the best resolution it is receiving without any adulteration. Not 576. If you're getting a 1080i image from Sky HD then that's what you want outputted.

Now don't be too hung up on which piece of kit converts this to 720p. The projector may well do a fine job, as may the Denon. Once you've figured out how to get them both working you can compare, but I'd expect the difference to be small and depend on which projector you have.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
HiThanks for that adavice. ÿI have checked and I do have the source select set to A to H.

If I was to set the Sky HD to 576 instead of Auto then the sky box would 'downscale' from its native reolution of 720p or 1080i to 576, which I think would make the situation worse. ÿI am sure there is a way to take ANYTHING the sky box transmits and have the Denon convert it to 720p. ÿI just don't know how (and the manual isn't great).

Thanks anyway.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:That makes no sense. You want the sky box to output in the best resolution it is receiving without any adulteration. Not 576. If you're getting a 1080i image from Sky HD then that's what you want outputted.

Now don't be too hung up on which piece of kit converts this to 720p. The projector may well do a fine job, as may the Denon. Once you've figured out how to get them both working you can compare, but I'd expect the difference to be small and depend on which projector you have.

Yeah you're right, i forgot Sky transmitted at 720p, thought it was 576 and the box then upscaled to 720p.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:
HiThanks for that adavice. ÿI have checked and I do have the source select set to A to H.

If I was to set the Sky HD to 576 instead of Auto then the sky box would 'downscale' from its native reolution of 720p or 1080i to 576, which I think would make the situation worse. ÿI am sure there is a way to take ANYTHING the sky box transmits and have the Denon convert it to 720p. ÿI just don't know how (and the manual isn't great).

Thanks anyway.ÿ

But as Will says if Sky transmits at 720p then surely no scaling is needed at all. I'd turn the scaling off on the Denon input. That way the pj will be getting a direct 720p feed from Sky, I think.

R

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, that makes sense except Sky broadcast some things as 1080i.

I think I have solved it and I am NOT happy. ÿI don't think the Denon 2808 can upscale HDMI-HDMI, it can only do it from analogue sources. ÿIf this is correct then I have wasted my time as both my sources are HDMI (Sky HD & Denon DVD).

The sound is great but I also wanted to get the best upscaling I could and thought that the 2808 would do a better job than my DVD player or the Sky HD box.

Any confimation or advice on this would be welcome.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:
Thanks, that makes sense except Sky broadcast some things as 1080i.

I think I have solved it and I am NOT happy. ÿI don't think the Denon 2808 can upscale HDMI-HDMI, it can only do it from analogue sources. ÿIf this is correct then I have wasted my time as both my sources are HDMI (Sky HD & Denon DVD).

The sound is great but I also wanted to get the best upscaling I could and thought that the 2808 would do a better job than my DVD player or the Sky HD box.

Any confimation or advice on this would be welcome.

Yeah it does, you need A to A & H to H, there's 3 options in the menu.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:My menu only shows A to H, not the other options. ÿDo I need a firmware upgrade or are you thinking of a different amp?

Right my 3808 has H to H, the 2808 does not according to the manual. Sorry, I did not realise.

I'm guessing that whatever is input at hdmi it's chucked out to the monitor without being touched. So if sky sends 1080i then your pj will get 1080i.

http://www.another site/forums/index.php

Rob

A

Anonymous

Which should be fine. You're not losing any data and your projector will make the adjustments to de-interlace and down convert the signal. This should not be a problem.

What projector are you using?

A

Anonymous

I'd give up worrying and think about investing in a good quality screen if you haven't already done so. Are you using a white wall or a screen?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts