Denon 1940 or HD-EP35/PS3 to go with new Panasonic TH37PX70?

A

Anonymous

Somehow I managed to lose the content from this post!

I've just ordered the Panasonic TH37PX70 to replace an old Sony 28" widescreen CRT. My current DVD player is a 5(?) years old Toshiba SD-270 and I'm guessing an upgrade is in order to get the best out of the new screen.

The sound system is likely to be based on the Onyko 505/605 with a speaker setup of Quad 1010i standard.

I'm torn on the DVD between the Denon 1940 and the Toshiba HD-EP35 (with the PS3 lurking in the wings). Given I'm likely to be mainly playing SD discs for the near future, so this has to take priority, (but would like the opportunity to try a few HD/Blu ray discs) is there an obvious choice?

The Tosh is only about £100 more than the Denon, so I'm leaning towards that if it's as good as the Denon for SD discs. On the other hand the Denon's multi-region would be useful.

Any advice based on the system I'm building up? Given the TV is HD-ready rather than full, am I likely to see a significant quality increase from an SD disc on the Denon to a HD disc on the Tosh?

Any help much appreciated.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Just seen details of the Tosh. HD-EP30. It seems (bar the 'deep colour' extra) the cuts from the EP35 are around sound output flexibility. Could I use the EP30 and feed a digital sound signal to something like the Onyko 605 for decoding?

Is there anything else (sound-wise) I'd be missing by taking the EP30 over the EP35? The EP30 can be picked up for £180 which makes it v cheap!

Thanks,

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts