Denon 1910 or 2310 ! How do you know you have Direct Audio mode on ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone explain how i know if i have done all the below correct ?

I have turned off Audyssey part but how do i tell if i have it setup to run Direct Audio Mode ?

For example , If say i am watching a Shy HD Movie like Death Race , On the front of my Receiver , should it be saying Direct with 5.1 or should it be saying Dolby Digital ? someone please tell me so i know as i really am getting confused with this. Thanks .

Basicly how do you enabling the amp's Direct mode ? and know its working

This model uses Audyssey MultEQ to help set up your speakers, which allows the readings to be taken from up to six different seating positions.

We found, however, that the '1910 performed best with the Audyssey system turned off. We'd suggest you perform a manual set-up, or allow Audyssey to measure your speaker distances and levels and then turn the EQ off once the set-up procedure is complete.

We'd also recommend enabling the amp's Direct Audio mode for optimum sound quality.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
The Direct Mode is on the back of the remote, under Pure Direct

Thats where it is on my 1910

You will know its working because it turns off all the amp display etc to enable a better sound (supposedly)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I have the 1909 (but I think they're similar). You can tell the Audyssey on my amp is off, when neither the red or green light on the display is illuminated. As Garth Man said, the back-panel on tthe remote has a Pure Direct (but also a Direct) mode. Pure Direct is for stereo only and turn the amp display off (minimising electrical interference), the Direct (I believe) is similar, but leaves the display on. I think it's only stereo, tho.

A

Anonymous

So am i right in saying the Direct Audio Mode is for 2CH only ? and i should use Dolby Digital for sky with all the options turned off ect and then say with Blu-rays just use True HD sound .

Im really only asking this question because at the moment on my Receiver on Sky HD when watching a movie it says Direct ! with all other options turned off , but the bit i dont understand is i have Sound coming from my Rear and Centre speakers ..........
But isnt Direct only 2CH ?

A

Anonymous

ok new update ! i have turned on this Direct mode and it seems i am getting 5.1 sound ! can anyone confirm if this is correct ?

I must admit it does sound nice , but i want to know for sure if this is correct .

The best people im sure to answer this is the Whathifi team , Cheers Jason .

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
jasonsony735:ok new update ! i have turned on this Direct mode and it seems i am getting 5.1 sound ! can anyone confirm if this is correct ? I must admit it does sound nice , but i want to know for sure if this is correct .The best people im sure to answer this is the Whathifi team , Cheers Jason .

Hmmn...

I don't have the same AVR as you guys, I have the 3808A, but it has the latest firmware and all the new-fangled Audessey modes on it. I thought that the direct modes were for stereo myself?? I'll have a check what happens when you select them on a digital multi-channel signal when I get home. It should be easy to tell what the receiver is doing because on Denons you get 2 displays that show you speaker usage, on the left it shows you what channels are available in the source signal, and the right shows you what channels are being used for output.

A

Anonymous

ok i have been playing around with it and it looks like you can have Direct Audio Mode on with Dolby Digial :) sounds alot cleaner from my testing i have done .

What i did first was make sure i had Dolby digital sound and then as the guys said above pressed on the back of the remote PURE and this put my Receiver in to Pure Direct mode , this then turns the lights off on the front of the set .......... I am going to watch a movie with it now and see how it gets on , ill get back to you . cheers Jason.

A

Anonymous

jasonsony735
you can actually use pure/direct mode on any audio format ,but while it,s adding a littel bit of more clearity to the sound , then u are missing the sound from the sub
emotion-6.gif
i don,t why but the subwoofer is off in pure/direct mode. so u are only hearing 5.0 no sub
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

well i don't have a sub yet so its not an issue yet :) I also hear the problem you are mentioning is on the older Denon models and not on the new , I am not a 100% on this but im sure someone will advise .

A

Anonymous

opssssss sorry jasonsony735 ! my mistake , i have the DANON AVR-4310 and my subwoofer was unplagged when i tried it out
emotion-9.gif
but i can confirm that now it do,s 5.1 in pure mode
emotion-1.gif

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There should be a table in your manual that details which speakers are active for each mode/audio format.

Also, I would recommend having a look at Batpig's guide to setting up Denon receivers. Just google it.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I used Direct lastnight, and it while it outputs a cleaner sound in dolby digital, it means that you don't get the benefit of pro-logic for stereo (i.e. most telly broadcasts) and end up with two-channel only...

A

Anonymous

I have the 1910 and you do need to flip open the back pannel and press the "Pure" button.....

I have a Pioneer 320 Bluray Player and when playing DVD's I get 5.1 and to be honest although the sound is noticably clearer with some Discs I often prefer to use Audyssey setting.

However when playing Blurays I always switch to pure and then selecting "DTS HD" sound the sound is far clearer with loads of presence.

You know you have the DTS sound as the front pannel will have lit up up Dark Blue above where the Red Audyssey light usually is.

Hope this makes sense?

TRENDING THREADS