Denon 1910, buying advice

adp72uk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the following (aging in places) system: Sony KDL-40W2000 TV, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Denon 1940 DVD, Sky HD, Yamaha DSP-AX640SE Amp and various Eltax speakers.

My system has evolved over the years and now only the amp and speakers are my originals. I've long wanted to replace the amp for one with HDMI switching (as I've run out on the back of my TV) and with decoding of all the new HD audio formats (I'm not convinced the blu-ray player does the job as well as an amp would). I've pretty much settled on the Denon 1910 for this job..............

Which brings me to the speakers. I've always been happy with the sound of my system but have always considered the Eltax speakers to be the weak link. Perhaps this is just due to the bad press they seem to attract from 'experts'. Any-hoo, I borrowed a set of KEF KHT2005.3 from a mate and tried them for a month expecting an amazing difference. Imagine my surprise to find that they sounded 'thin' in comparison although perhaps providing a wider 'sound stage'. The sub blew mine away but the whole shebang was rubbish with music (which is obviously a large part of most films).

I suppose I should get to the point really. Do any of you out there have any wisdom you'd like to share? Is the 1910 the right choice? Am I daft to stick with the Eltax kit? Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
are you not happy with the yamaha amp?the B-ray player you have doesn't require a new amp...and eltax speakers are not that bad

adp72uk

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I was perfectly happy with the amp until I added the b-ray player. When I played my first disc I was blown away by the picture but didn't find the audio any better than my DVD player. I have rightly or wrongly assumed that this is due to the b-ray player doing the decoding and sending the signal to the amp via 6ch analogue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts