Denon 1910 and setting for gaming on a PS3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Can anyone help? I have a PS3 and a Denon 1910. I have the PS3 connected to the Denon using a HDMI cable and have the imput mode of the amp set to HDMI and I have letf the decode option set to auto.

The other day I got a copy of Black Ops and the amp keeps switching from Dolby D to PL II C during the game. This results in a black screen when it keeps switching which is really annoying and I have to turn the amp off and play through the TV speakers.

I am guessing I have set something up wrong as I have look around the internet and can’t see anyone else having this problem. I have changed the sound options in the games menu to tell it I have an AV player but it still keeps switch modes??

When I normally play games on my PS3 I never change any setting all I do is put the game in and the amp goes into MULTI- IN and that’s it.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

i'm no expert but this may help

You may want to try connecting a firbre optic cable between ps3 and 1910 then assign f/o to the hdmi input.

A

Anonymous

Strange...I have the same amp connected to my PS3. I get 'Multi-in' on the amp when I play and that is what should be selected.

If you have the slim PS3 just ensure you have the PS3 set to do the decoding. You shouldn't be getting Dolby anything over HDMI from PS3 if it is set up correctly.

Failing that re-run the audio auto setup on the PS3 and that may jig it into action. Other than that I would say you have a faulty amp / game / ps3. Try changing the HDMI plug that the PS3 is connected to.

Try Brad's suggestion and if that works it narrows it down to PS3/Amp HDMI problems.

If you google 'Batpig's denon guide' I find that really useful for setting things up and problem solving.

A

Anonymous

My apologies I have just had a play around with Black ops and my my amp switches from multi-in to PLII C not Dolby,

I'll have a tinker around with the setting.

When you say let the PS3 do the decoding do you mean switch the PS3 to bitstream or PCM in the settings. At present I have it on bitstream which makes the little blue light come on the amp when watching blu-ray films.

A

Anonymous

The audio on the game will likely be compressed using a codec. The codec will need to be decoded prior to it going to the speakers.

With it set to bitstream you are asking the Denon amp to do the decoding. This is why the blue light comes on to tell that the amp is doing the business and your are getting HD audio from it. the name of the codec being used will appear on the front of the amp ie Dolby, DTS, PLLc (pro logic 2 cinema as opposed to pro logic 2 music) etc etc....

Set it to PCM and you are tasking the PS3 to do the decoding and then send the uncompressed data down the HDMI cable to the amp and then the amp just forwards that on to the speakers. The display should say 'Multi-In' meaning that the amp is recieving HD audio and outputting HD audio.

It makes ZERO difference what you get to do the decoding other than the blue light on the front.

If getting your PS3 to decode the audio instead of the amp clears the problem then there is most probably a problem with your amp, and I would guess at a software issue. It will need a reload at a hifi dealer.

Have you tried to manually change the modes using the buttons on the back of the controller? It is strange this is only happening with Black Ops.

I have the same game using a fat PS3 and same amp. I have no choice but to let the PS3 do the decoding and I get 'multi-in' all the time and it works perfectly.

It is all explained rather well here: http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

Just search for the section on the 'blue light' and also the 'PS3'

A

Anonymous

Cheers buddy

You can guess what i'll be doing this weekend.

I'll give it a go I am hoping it's a duff copy of the game. I'll get someone to test it on their PS3 and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

I don't want to speak to soon but I think I might of found the problem.

I think it was a duff HDMI cable. I put on the PS3 and changed the settings to PCM and put Modern Warfare 2 on and played it for a bit and then sound went dead. I had to change from DVD to SAT to get it back then it happened again.

I took the game out and put in Black Ops... It went nuts..... black screened every 4 seconds i counldn't see the screen. The pad just kept rumbling as I was getting shot and then restarting the level and black screening.

I notice that there was a line of green snow flickering on the left side of the screen so I took out the lead and plugged in free cable I got with a monitor and Bingo. No more black screens (so far)

A

Anonymous

Keep us posted.

If that still fails go back to the component cable that came with your PS3. If component works then you know its HDMI problems somewhere in the PS3 or Amp as opposed to the cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts