Denon 1909 vs Onkyo 875 (for music)

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I was originally going for an Onk 606 until I was advised to push up to an 875 due to my music demands. As well as costing more, it physically takes up more space and I'm wondering whether I really need it to fill a relatively small room (4M x 3.5M). Now that the Denon is here, I'm wondering how it fares musically compared to the 875 (maybe somewhere between 606 and 875?)

Speakers I have been considering are Quad L-ites (if I can find any), B&W 685 theatre (will need to build this over time due to cost), and some Mordaunt Short combo involving the Mezzo 2's as fronts. I can and will audition the 685 and Mezzo's but Quad's not available locally although may be willing to take a punt due to low price.

I suppose what I want to hear is that the 1909 will do a grand job on music as well as Home Cinema and that it would pair up well with any of the speakers I am considering. However, if it simply isn't the case, I'm open to suggestions.

Sources will be PS3 for Blu-Ray, Squeezebox for music, Freesat HD (or Sky HD).

Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

What are we talking here 2cm? Would it not fit in your rack? I'd go for the 875 if musicality is your theme.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Since you're willing to audition the speakers, I'd recommend auditioning the amps - they're just as important and only then can you truly be happy you've got the best system for you.

A

Anonymous

Maybe you should consider getting a 1909 and a dedicated stereo amp? I wonder whether the Marantz 6002 would do a better job than the Onkyo 875 for music?

A

Anonymous

I may well be wrong but if your using a squeese box as your source for music and im assuming that its mp3's your playing i wouldnt worry too much about the amp the denon will be fine!

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:I may well be wrong but if your using a squeese box as your source for music and im assuming that its mp3's your playing i wouldnt worry too much about the amp the denon will be fine!

Lossless files, mostly from EAC rips (occassional MP3). Planning on getting a separate DAC for Squeezebox in the fullness of time (Possibly Beresford).

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Since you're willing to audition the speakers, I'd recommend auditioning the amps - they're just as important and only then can you truly be happy you've got the best system for you.

I should have said that of course I plan to audition the receivers with them as well (when the 1909 is in stock locally). My only problem is that I may note be able to find a place locally who has all the receivers and speakers to mix and match which is why I was considering buying the receiver first and then taking that along to audition the speakers to match (except the Quads which I definitely can't get locally!)

Just canvassing for some opinion really - I've been convinced that there is an appreciable difference in stereo quality between the Onk 606 and 875 but that was before the 1909 landed. now I'm wondering if the 1909 stereo performance is better than the 606 to the point where I could just save a few pounds and plump for that rather than the 875.

If that makes more sense to you, then perhaps you can explain it back to me!
emotion-4.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No that's fair enough - in actual fact the Onkyo 905 is the first bit of kit I've bought blind after listening to a few others and deciding they weren't worth the upgrade over my old Denon AVC-A1SE. I couldn't find one to hear locally (no car!) so just went for it and it worked out very well! But I wouldn't condone such actions for others, although you do of course get the 7 day cooling off period when buying over the internet so, minus £30 for the courier, I wouldn't have lost a lot had I had to send it back because it was a stinker!

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:What are we talking here 2cm? Would it not fit in your rack? I'd go for the 875 if musicality is your theme.

It's more the depth (38cm vs 46cm). And I suppose partly the fact that it's pig ugly compared to the Denon but that's secondary to the sound.

stonehound

May 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm picking up a Denon 1909 on Saturday morning. Will be initially playing music through my iPod connected with the new Denon ASD-11R iPod dock (B&W 685 speakers). I'll let you know how it sounds on Sat if you're still deliberating then.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
seakingadvice:Maybe you should consider getting a 1909 and a dedicated stereo amp? I wonder whether the Marantz 6002 would do a better job than the Onkyo 875 for music?

I don't doubt it but I was under the impression that the 1909 didn't have a pre-out. Or would I just use the Zone 2 output as a pre-out to an amp for the fronts? If that's the case, I'll probably go for the 1909 and match it with one of my favoured sets of speakers.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
stonehound:I'm picking up a Denon 1909 on Saturday morning. Will be initially playing music through my iPod connected with the new Denon ASD-11R iPod dock (B&W 685 speakers). I'll let you know how it sounds on Sat if you're still deliberating then.

Thanks, I'd appreciate your opinion, especially as I'm quite keen on the 685's. I'm very unlikely to have picked one up by this weekend. So far, the only bit of kit I've managed to buy and set up is a Panasonic 37PX80 which is bolted to the wall and awaiting some nice HD content to go through it. Still on the list to buy once I'm ready are the PS3, AV receiver, speakers and interconnects... oh, and a toddlre-resistant rack with lockable front door to put it all in, followed by building a Windows Home server or NAS box to serve the Squeezebox and PS3.

So not much work ahead, really!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I guess if the receiver is going to be enclosed, you might find that the Onkyo gets rather hot. ÿMost of the problems with this piece of kit have arisen due to lack of breathing space. ÿThe Denons run much cooler, I believe.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I'm looking at a Quadraspire unit which has a lockable glass door at the front but is open at the back so I would hope that should eliminate any issues but maybe I'll start another thread about that!

A

Anonymous

But most of the top is still ventilation grillwork :). Can't help with the comparisons, but I can say that I'm pleased with the music performance of my 1909 + Arcam CD73T CD + Kef 3005SE speakers. On the other hand, I'm not a hifi expert, so I'm easy to please :)

A

Anonymous

Gozaradio:
seakingadvice:Maybe you should consider getting a 1909 and a dedicated stereo amp? I wonder whether the Marantz 6002 would do a better job than the Onkyo 875 for music?

I don't doubt it but I was under the impression that the 1909 didn't have a pre-out.ÿ Or would I just use the Zone 2 output as a pre-out to an amp for the fronts?ÿ If that's the case, I'll probably go for the 1909 and match it with one of my favoured sets of speakers.

Yes you are correct the 1909 doesn't have pre-outs, and unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do with your other method.

It's important to take into consideration though if musical stature is important to you. The Onkyo will easily beat the 1909, and would be a close match to the Marantz 6002 mentioned + it has pre-outs allowing future upgrading.

A

Anonymous

garethwd:I may well be wrong but if your using a squeese box as your source for music and im assuming that its mp3's your playing i wouldnt worry too much about the amp the denon will be fine!

I don't understand this, surely if you're using a Squeeze and don't have an external DAC, it is VITAL the receiver is good at playing music.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Actually I don't understand the argument either. Surely the 875?

A

Anonymous

I just think that the better the equipment the more it highlights mp3's limits as a musical source

A

Anonymous

garethwd:I just think that the better the equipment the more it highlights mp3's limits as a musical source

The Onk's onboard DAC's will be way better than the Denon's and will do a better job even if you through 32kbps mp3's through them.ÿ

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
having some knowledge in biology, i know octopi are inteligent animals.that's why I trust your opinion my friend. lol

A

Anonymous

ear:having some knowledge in biology, i know octopi are inteligent animals.that's why I trust your opinion my friend. lol

Ahhhh, but we only have very short memories. I have to learn everything every eight minutes.

A

Anonymous

With the Onk 875 at £700 and the 905 at £800 from Richer Sounds, this really should be a no brainer. Buy an Onkyo and never look back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts