Dedicated mains supply

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I browse several forums- one of which is a DIY-advice forum where I've observed a couple of audiophiles/hifi-nuts ask for info concerning mains power supply upgrades, only to be ridiculed by the "trade". As both a hifi nut AND an electrician I'm interested in both the benefits and the experiences of asking for such work to be carried out.
The "standard" power circuit in your living room will most likely be wired in unshielded cable, supplying several rooms containing equipment producing "mains noise", as well as being an effective antenna of 150 meters or so.

A dedicated mains supply could be wired in sheilded cable, reduce the effects of other equipment, and omit electromagnetic equipment at the mains essentual for "general power" circuits.

[Note to mods: I'm not "touting for business" here... I have plenty of work on my doorstep and 99%+ of members would be of no "business interest" to me, however I'm including some guide prices as they're very relevant to the discussion of how desirable such a upgrade would be... The way of the world being that cost-to-benefit is always relevant... hope this is okay, if not I'll modify my post. Right now I'm just curious more than anything, and in any event would want to know more about the science, methods and experiences before offering anything. I hope this doesn't sound to much like a flippin' market survey, maybe it is just a little bit, but "hifi" and "electical installation" are kinda a couple of key areas of mine and given the crossover, coupled with the derisary attitude of my breathren, I'm aching to know more]

So on the subject of prices, I'd say a dedicated circuit- shielded cable and dedicated fuse unit direct from mains- could be installed from aroundabout £400 upwards, climbing for mutiple circuits/outlets and more difficult cable runs.

Does anyone have a dedicated supply? If so, what are your thoughts? How was it completed, ie type of cable and circuit protection?

Or would you contemplate having one installed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts