Decoding DTS-HD Master Audio on existing AV receivers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I purchased a Marantz SR 4500 AV receiver about 3 years ago. Paired with Wharfedale Diamond 9s, works beautifully. It's capable of decoding DTS:ES (6.1 channel). Just wondering what is the best way to use it to decode DTS-HD Master Audio in Blu-Ray discs. As I see it, I can do one of 4 things:

[*]Option 1: Buy an expensive Blu-Ray player capable of decoding DTS Master Audio and feed the audio stream directly to a 7.1 in analogue input of my Marantz, thus bypassing its internal DTS circuitry. But that would amount to using Marantz as merely an amplifier. Is this a good option?
[*]Option 2: Buy an ordinary Blu-Ray player, capable of decoding DTS-HD Master Audio, but connect from its digital coaxial or optical out to my Marantz input counterparts. I believe it may still process the DTS core sound, and perhaps not the extensions - so not true DTS-HD Master experience. Does anyone know the transmission loss in this case?
[*]Option 3: Buy an external processor and a normal Blu-Ray player. Use the DTS decoding of the processor to feed into the Marantz 7.1 analogue inputs Even this option reduces the existing Marantz into a mere amp.
[*]Option 4: Upgrade to a new Marantz or Denon receiver. Hate the idea of 'wasting money' (spent considerably on this Marantz just 3 years ago!).

Can someone suggest what's the best option, both from a monetary and audiophile perspective? Also, am I missing any other trick to scale up the existing Marantz (like, can one add DTS-HD Master Audio decoding circuitry externally to an AV receiver, like we upgrade firmware of computers?).

Cheers!

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
This in an interesting topic. I think we can still benefit our existing receiver by using its multichannel input hooked up with multichannel output from the blue ray players. This is why the manufactures have designed the receivers with 7.1 analogue input, ie, for future purpose (the future that would be now). I have marantz SR4500 too, since I have read this post, i've got an idea that purchasing of a newly designed HD receiver might not be necessary if the HD player has 5.1/7.1 analog output. The HD sound would be purely transmitted by the blue ray player. In this case, using multichannel analogue input would be better than optical.

A

Anonymous

I am in a similar position and decided to go for the sony blu ray 550 and hook it up to my amp's analogue inputs. Like you I couldn't bear changing my amp so soon. I think the quality of the blu-ray's on board decoding is pretty good.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agree with Andrew. Option 2 will give you the DTS core mix which is a maximum bitrate of 1.5 Mbps - basically it's a lossy format so, although it's better than the soundtrack you'll get on DVD, it's not as good as the lossless DTS HD Master Audio you'll get with option 1.
Unfortunately there's no way a firmware upgrade will allow the amp to decode DTS HD Master Audio as the only method for bitstreaming that signal to the amp is HDMI and your amp does not have an HDMI input.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, guys.

Guess I'll take Option 1. Any suggestions on the top-rated Blu-Ray players capable of decoding DTS Master Audio, and enabling 7.1 direct output?

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for option one which is what i intend to do when NAD bring out a blueray player (phew waiting waiting....maybe the latest panasonic would surfice)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts