Decision time - KEF Q100, Dali Zensor 1 or Diamond 220

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

After pretty much a month of umming and ahing, and countless home demos, my wife has now decreed that I simply must make a decision on our living room speakers, or I will drive her mad! Fair enough really, I have taken indecision to hitherto unseen levels on this issue!

Had a lengthy home demo of Dali Zensor 3s and I really enjoyed them, but they were just a little bit too big for the room (physically and in terms of sound) and there were some issues with the placement, which is either side of TV in corner of room. Dali do stress that speakers need to be parallel to rear wall, which is impossible in our situation.

So, I have since been trying out the Zensor 1s. These are very good speakers in many ways, although very occasionally they strike me as sounding a bit chaotic. Not sure they've been fully run in mind, and I could live with it.

However, I have since been offered the opportunity to pick up a set of Q100s for around £250 (RRP £399). Have only had a brief in store demo of these, but they sound really impressive. From what I've read, they're unfussy about placement, which is perfect for us.

As for the Diamond 220s, again, I've only heard these in store. They seemed fine, although a bit muddy. However I'm not convinced they were fully run in and wonder if the muddiness would clear with use? Obviously have read the stunning reviews in this august publication.

I listen to a broad range of music, a lot of a cappella choral music and chamber music, as well as indie rock and acoustic rock. Also will be used for everyday tv and movies. My priority is a very strong mid-range for rich, lifelike presentation of vocals, particularly in choral music. My ear also seem to be sensitive to excessive treble, so a mannered but sparkling treble would be great. Don't need pounding bass, just a good, supportive, well-timed foundation.

So, as I'm clearly incapable of making this final decision, I'd be grateful for feedback. Which is most likely to suit my needs, KEF, Dali or Wharfedale?

matthewpiano

Without question I'd recommend the KEFs. They are comfortably the most capable of the three and they do everything you are asking for. At £250 they are an absolute steal and compete comfortably with much more expensive speakers I've heard. Even with an older choral recording like the 1965 Leinsdorf RCA Verdi Requiem, they bring out the layers of voices beautifully and maintain a superb sense of musical balance. They are not fussy about musical style either.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
The 3020 does look interesting. I think I'm slightly put off as my current speakers are the 1020i, which are unrelentingly dull! Also, I imagine they'll bring out an "i" variant of the 3020 in 6 months or so!

Might be worth a listen though, given how hightly thought of the 2020i is. I did audition the 2020i however and preferred the Zensor 1.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Matthew, I agree, the price for the KEFs is great (they're ex-demo, but perfect condition). I was just slightly concerned about the "thin, delicate treble" I've read about in some reviews and comments (although this was in reference to the larger Q300). The one thing that really impresses me with the Zensor 1 is the detailed, ringing treble of the tweeter. Will the KEFs be similar, or sound thin in comparison?

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
As you have placement issues, I would try and home demo the Wharfedale 220's - they have a downward-firing bass port, so they are supposedly less fussy about where they are positioned.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Zensor 1 are great speakers but not much bass at all. The Zensor 3 are better. The Kef Q100 is one of the worst speakers I have ever heard, but that's just me. So hard on the ears and very thin sounding treble. Not my kind of speakers at all, but you might like them.

You do not like the 1020i you have now so I would go for the Zensor 1 or the Diamond 220 *smile*

matthewpiano

I am fussy about treble quality and I have never had any issues at all with the Q100s in this regard. They have real clarity but I play all sorts of orchestral, choral, piano, folk and progressive rock through mine and they have never once made me feel uncomfortable. Likewise with the bass, which is firm and rhythmic but never booms. My personal feeling is that the Q100s are better balanced than the Q300s.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've found the Dali Lektor 2's to be really good with classical and other types of music as well. The mid-range is lovely. Also flexible with positioning. Need time to run in though.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. Turns out I've missed out on the Q100s. Shame, I think they would have been perfect. I have however been offered a pair of as-new open box Zensor 1s in walnut for £149, so I've gone for those as an interim measure. They're by no means perfect, but they're very good and I can't resist Scandinavian design (I drive a very old Saab!) so they will do very nicely given budget constraints, and I can always treat myself to a relatively guilt-free upgrade in 6 months time....

The Zensor 3s were superb and I would have kept them, but they were just too big, physically and sonically, for our room. Would love a pair of Ikon 2 MKii, but can't afford them at the mo. One day...

Will be interesting to see what happens with the QA 3020s and the inevitable "i" update. Perhaps my next upgrade.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I have the Q Acoustics 2020i at the moment and they are great speakers. I had them for almost 2 years now and it's time for a change. I'm going for the q acoustics 3020 speakers or the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. Haven't decided yet.

It's easier to pick the 3020 speakers because I know what to expect in a way but the Diamond 220 are very intriguing.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I probably should have given the 220s more of a chance. I just found them muddy in story compared to the likes of BX2 and Zensor 1s. Having said that, I'm not convinced the store had run them in for very long, so it may have improved. I think my issue with them was mainly asthetic to be honest. They just look cheap compared to others at the same price point.

TRENDING THREADS