Decent tuner with dab

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I think my old Sony tuner from my old system sounds naff now compared to cd and Dacmagic.and even mp3's through the dac sound better. I know dab radio is not the best qaulity as most stations transmit 128k but I would like the choice of all the dab stations and FM in one convenient unit, The Harmon Kardon TU980 is a good price in richersounds is this any good, will dab sound better on the H/K than FM through my Sony ste500 for example?,I am best routing freeview channels through my dac or even internet channels and forgetting about a dab/FM tuner.?

John Duncan

Johnno2:I think my old Sony tuner from my old system sounds naff now compared to cd and Dacmagic.and even mp3's through the dac sound better.ÿI know dab radio is not the best qaulity as most stations transmit 128k but I would like the choice of all the dab stations and FM in one convenient unit, The Harmon Kardon TU980ÿis a good price in richersounds is this any good, willÿdab sound better on the H/KÿthanÿFM throughÿmy Sony ste500 for example?,I am bestÿrouting freeview channels through my dac or even internet channels andÿforgetting aboutÿa dab/FM tuner.?ÿÿ

If all the radio channels you want to listen to are available on freeview, yes, generally - bitrates are at least on a par and usually higher than DAB. ÿIf not, you may wish to consider internet radio and a wireless client (not mentioning any names), which will often be DAB-comparable, and there's an awful lot of choice. ÿMore of a faff than a dedicated DAB tuner though, obviously.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is nothing to compare for quality with a live BBC Radio 3 FM classical performance (given a decent tuner and - more importantly - a good professionally installed roof aerial),

However, I agree with John. Freeview 'radio' from my DVD/HDD recorder (connected with optical cable from the digital audio output to the DAC) is very respectable in quality and superior in my experience to DAB and yes the bitrates are generally higher.

Also (like John), I have found some extremely good internet radio stations, many of which also out-perform DAB in bitrate and sound-quality. (Much more choice too.)

I will still occasionally use FM (from my Solo-Mini) for that last little degree of quality when I know in advance there is something 'special' to listen to, but Freeview is more than just acceptable and BBC iPlayer is excellent for all the stuff I have missed.

John Duncan

chebby:
There is nothing to compare for quality with a live BBC Radio 3 FM classical performance (given a decent tuner and - more importantly - a good professionally installed roof aerial),

However, I agree with John. Freeview 'radio' from my DVD/HDD recorder (connected with optical cable from the digital audio output to the DAC) is very respectable in quality and superior in my experience to DAB and yes the bitrates are generally higher.

Also (like John), I have found some extremely good internet radio stations, many of which also out-perform DAB in bitrate and sound-quality. (Much more choice too.)

I will still occasionally use FM (from my Solo-Mini) for that last little degree of quality when I know in advance there is something 'special' to listen to, but Freeview is more than just acceptable and BBC iPlayer is excellent for all the stuff I have missed.

Yup, Radio 3 is the only station for which FM is still obligatory really, but seeing as I don't listen to it, my Denon's in The Fabled Hifi Drawer
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yup, Radio 3 is the only station for which FM is still obligatory really, but seeing as I don't listen to it, my Denon's in The Fabled Hifi Drawer
emotion-2.gif

R3 and R4 radio plays/dramas also benefit from FM. (Sometimes the actors can really seem like they are in the room.)

I will continue to use FM whilst I still have a tuner (tuner section anyway) and whilst FM is still transmitted. I did think of dropping FM when/if I ever upgrade from the Solo-Mini but when that day comes I will probably still go and get a cheap, decent used FM tuner from the InterBay because I have a stupid emotional attachment to FM radio still. (And a £195 roof aerial!)

I still well up a bit when I think of them switching FM broadcasting off finally. Daft really.

A

Anonymous

Anybody any idea for a good tuner with DAB?

I was going to go for Denon 1800TU in silver but haver been told by all and sundry that this model is discontinued now and all I can find is black.Looked at the ARCAM T32 as the amp/cd are the same manufacture (in silver) but despite this having a previous price drop cannot find this for less the £600.00 quid.

Denon drops right where I want to be in terms of price,quality and appearance.

Any ideas of an available substitute or anything upcoming to fill this gap?

Thanks in advance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cambridge Audio 650T

Denon TU-1800DAB (Even if is discontinued - which I am not sure about - there seem to be plenty available.)

If your listening is predominately stations that are available on Freeview, then run an RCA lead from the output of your DVD/BD recorder, PVR, Skybox (or whatever you use for Freeview).

It will sound better than DAB and come close to matching a good FM tuner (especially if you connect your Freeview source via 'digital audio out' to a DAC.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts